Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have written a petition requesting the seasonal closure of Spearfishing/Archery/Gigs for Northern Pike from March 1st to May 31st. I would like to collect hard signatures from as many people as possible, especially those who hold a current Colorado fishing license.

My thoughts are to get these on the counters of as many shops as possible, collect signatures in front of major stores, and in general get every angler who agrees with this to put their name on it. My goal is to acquire 1,000+ signatures, this would represent $26,000.00 not including habitat stamps and/or 2nd rod stamps. If the petition does not get the attention of the DOW this is enough people/money to get the attention of the media.

May work, it may not... But it is something we can do rather than just watch this take place.
Anybody interested in helping out with this please p.m. me your e-mail and I will forward you the petition. I would like to have this completed by the end of the year.

Thank you!

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"The new regulations created by the Colorado Division of Wildlife will allow the unlimited harvest of Northern Pike by means of Spearfishing/Archery/Gigs as legal methods of take. Northern Pike spawn in the early spring in shallow bays and flooded grass. This method of take will highly increase the vulnerability of these spawning fish. A seasonal closure will protect these valuable fish insuring future angling opportunities.

Petition to the Colorado Division of Wildlife requesting the seasonal closure of Spearfishing/Archery/Gigs of Northern Pike in Colorado from March 1st to May 31st

All signed below are in favor of this seasonal closure (please sign and print name).
Please place a check behind your signature if you have a current Colorado Fishing license."

This is the language at the top of the list, each page will accomadate 25 signatures. I am hoping to send these out to people who can then get them signed and sent back to me.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
I know online petitions are near meaningless, but would be much easier in this case. Especially since the point would be to make the DOW see that licensed fisherpersons are outraged. Perhaps setting something up where the angler that signs the petition on a website enters their last few digits of their CID from their DOW issued fishing license would prove that it's a real person?

I'd be more then/than happy to sign it regardless though.

Rob

·
Registered
246 Posts
Eli,

If you need someone to spend some time outside of Cabelas and Sportsman's in GJ over December Christmas time period, count me in. If you feel it can wait that long. Next couple weekends are full helping kids learn to fish. (still need a few more volunteers on Grand Mesa at Mesa lakes on 12/11 for ice fishing instructors for kids, PM me if available)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
brown-time said:
Eli,

If you need someone to spend some time outside of Cabelas and Sportsman's in GJ over December Christmas time period, count me in. If you feel it can wait that long. Next couple weekends are full helping kids learn to fish. (still need a few more volunteers on Grand Mesa at Mesa lakes on 12/11 for ice fishing instructors for kids, PM me if available)
maybe we could do an educational program on lake trout and Pike, some nice pictures of the trophys that are going to be killed? great idea Jerry, count me in Hey Jerry do you want to get a copy of Eli's pet for the southern boys to sign?

·
Registered
246 Posts
bobco said:
brown-time said:
Eli,

maybe we could do an educational program on lake trout and Pike, some nice pictures of the trophys that are going to be killed? great idea Jerry, count me in Hey Jerry do you want to get a copy of Eli's pet for the southern boys to sign?
I'm sure Eli can e-mail me the form he's using and I'll get it to you and others around here asap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Ice said that they will just ignore this petition, but a better approach might be to try and get it on the ballot, because the tree huggers will do anything to stop spearing. Could be our allies this time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Jörmungandr said:
fieryone said:
Ice said that they will just ignore this petition, but a better approach might be to try and get it on the ballot, because the tree huggers will do anything to stop spearing. Could be our allies this time.
This is what I have been saying. people are whining about blue mesa's woes.... This is where you email and petition rocky mountain animal defense or PETA and tell them "HEY, animals are being killed and tortured."

oh I forgot, fish aren't animals. ::) ::)
We have been doing it for a long time, we just need more voices and more troops to get this done.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'll sign. And I am a license'd fisherman, and proud of it.

·
P I K E
10,082 Posts
Eli, send it to me and I'll do my part on getting sig's for it. If you need my email addy again let me know. I'll start next week for sure as right now I'm sitting in a motel in Sheridan Wy. heading into the blizzard through Montana... :D...but I'll hit the pavement for this cause with you!!! Anybody over on the east slope want to sign a hard sig. just let me know, I'll have it at Festivus, the upcoming seminars and anywhere anybody wants it!!! Thx for the cause BROTHER!!!
Tony

1 - 20 of 81 Posts