Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Want to get my Dad one for Christmas.Looking at the low profile inflatable type. Who uses one? Liked the look of the Onxy AM-24 on Tackle Warehouse. Any input/personal experiences appreciated.

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
If you buy from a local shop, they normally carry the refill/rearm kits.
I have two different brands Sterns and BPS and can't tell them apart. Both of mine are manual inflate.
One is ten years old and has held up great.

·
Registered
724 Posts

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
I figured you'd let him sink....................................good to know you're not that cold blooded!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I figured you'd let him sink....................................good to know you're not that cold blooded!
Wouldn't take much for him to sink, he doesn't swim. Thanks for input guys, will let you which way I go.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Went to Bass pro, got the A/M one pikester linked. Hope the ol' man wears it

·
P I K E
10,113 Posts
Right on, sure he'll like it since it's so light he won't remember he's wearing it!

·
Registered
87 Posts
One consideration with the inflatables is what happens once in the water and they inflate? A buddy of mine went over-board in Spinney a few years ago. The inflatable deployed fine but he pannicked after it felt like he was choking to death (super tight around his neck). He had 2 float tubers come by and rescue him. Inflatables may be super comfortable but my buddy will never use an inflatable again!

I've had great luck with a fishing vest/life jacket combo. It's called a Stohlquist fisherman pfd.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think manual inflatable are dangerous because what happens if you whack your head while falling in the water? Can't pull the cord if you are out cold... this should be an extra consideration on older folks as well. My grandpa used to have mini strokes that would last long enough to sink.

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
If your worried about him just get him a good comfortable normal pfd that fits him and make him where it when he's on the boat with you.
I wouldn't trust the inflatable type either.

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
One consideration with the inflatables is what happens once in the water and they inflate? A buddy of mine went over-board in Spinney a few years ago. The inflatable deployed fine but he pannicked after it felt like he was choking to death (super tight around his neck). He had 2 float tubers come by and rescue him. Inflatables may be super comfortable but my buddy will never use an inflatable again!

I've had great luck with a fishing vest/life jacket combo. It's called a Stohlquist fisherman pfd.
In the same type of situation... Once the one has deployed... unless you have a recharge kit.. it is no longer a valid PFD...

If you dont have a spare or a recharge kit you would technically have to leave since you dont have a PFD for everone on board.

Just a thought that ran through my head... i cannot afford over $100 for a PFD.. Or at least cant justify it with all the standard ones I have already. LOL

1 - 14 of 14 Posts