Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out for the season opener Sat. wind was a mother, our group managed 5 birds, back at it on Sun with nicer weather got 4 more. Great couple days bird hunting saw lots of birds which is a great sign for this season.

·
0 Posts
We got the exact same number of birds as you both days also. 1st bird brother-in-law got on Sunday was a Black Pheasant! Turns out the farmer had raised and let loose 250 of em back in May. Beautiful bird, he's gonna get it mounted.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I would like to try pheasant hunting in Colorado. I have only hunted pheasant in MN, SD, and IA. The 'walk on' lands are intriguing. Is there much pressure out there on pheasants? Are there any other game birds you encounter? (prarie chicken, sharptail, quail)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If the walk in access is what you are talking about it seems very poor were I hunt mostly dried up fields very little corn I don't hunt it because of this. As far as other upland birds I have only seen the occational quail.

·
0 Posts
The 1st couple of weekends get hit pretty hard and then dies off a bit. The walk in areas are hit and miss, some are decent and others are just dirt. We mainly just stop and ask for permission on private property.

·
Registered
438 Posts
1finger said it all. Colorado is not a premier pheasant state. You just gotta get out there and find cover; then ask permission to hunt. If you are willing to put in the work, you can get a rooster or two in a long day.

·
0 Posts
We hunt from Burlington to Yuma and everywhere in between back to Denver. We also hit Kansas quite a bit. Last week we should have had limits for the 3 of us both days.

·
Registered
438 Posts
All of the days I have said "I should have limited out" but didn't. Were days I had my gun on my shoulder or in my hand. The key to pheasant hunting success is having your gun in positon to shoot when the birds flush. Dang; those guns get heavy.....

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pete,
I was hunting Straton and Burlington areas. Mostly private land did alot of door knocking over the two day's.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts