Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sat. is the day. Looks like pretty good weather this year so far! Looks like my boys want to go this year! So with a 10yr old dog, and my 7yr old and a 4.5yr old boys, I'm thinking that opening day will be short lived. However all I need is 3 birds, right? I am thinking either Cheyenne Wells area or Yuma area. More private land in Cheyenne Wells, but more walk in property in Yuma. Last number of years the crops in Wells have been OK at best. The birds haven't been there much either. Anyone have any insight of the crops and bird situation anywhere? Who's going? Good luck to everyone. Have fun and post some pics!

Jim

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
I know the hunting is great in South Dakota.

Hard to get motivated to hunt anywhere else when I go up there and our group limits out in an hour and a half.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Basically none left here in Western Colorado, almost none. It's all due to increasing fox, coyote, raccoon, and skunk populations thanks to trapping being outlawed by the enviro marxist bunny huggers.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
IceInTheVeins. said:
Basically none left here in Western Colorado, almost none. It's all due to increasing fox, coyote, raccoon, and skunk populations thanks to trapping being outlawed by the enviro marxist bunny huggers.
Actually it was outlawed by a vote of the people, wasn't it? Aren't you Right WingNuts always touting votes of the people as being infallible?

Too bad we don't have any activist judges to overturn that ban, huh? :D

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
IceInTheVeins. said:
Actually it was outlawed by a vote of the people, wasn't it? Aren't you Right WingNuts always touting votes of the people as being infallible?

Too bad we don't have any activist judges to overturn that ban, huh? :D
But that shows how much influence the envirolibwackocommies have!

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
might be a record here. hijacked thread in just a few posts! ::)
Chris said:
Headed east for the weekend, last word I got was great numbers again this year!
where about East are ya going? Hope what you heard is right. I haven't had a great opener in a while. Really excited to get the kids into birds!
beadheadred said:
Go north, find ya some walk ins up by Julesburg
I think I'm going up by Otis? We will see. Love the walk in properties. Lots of great cover!

Jim

·
Registered
6,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, as I thought it was a short opener. The dog is ruined for a day or two, and the boy was ready to call it quits after 3 good walks. I would love to tell everyone that I got my limit this morning, but that didn't happen. Not because of the birds, but because I can't shoot to save my arse! We hit a couple corners filled with good CRP grass. They surrounded a good corn field. At the point where the 2 corners joined (the narrow spot) the dog worked up two cocks! The 1st went towards the boy so I turned to the 2nd. Missed the 1st shot and forgot to pump in another round. By the time I chambered the 2nd it was a long shot. I took it anyway, and missed. I've been shooting my over/under 20g the last few years. Thus, haven't shot the 870 and almost forgot how to. We worked a nice ditch in the middle of a winter wheat field! It ended near the farm house. The end is where the next 5 ring necks popped out. Three blasted off in the direction of the house, 2 went away. I shot all 3 shots with the same outcome. NOTHING!! We took a drive to give the dog a rest! We found an abandoned farm house with very heavy weed cover. We walked it for fun. Out comes roughly 10 more birds. Good mix of cocks and hens. Of course I miss all 3 shots. Again NOTHING! My boy was happy and excited to see so many birds, and my dog was elated to be back in the field! All in all close to 35 birds sighted! Close to 15 in range while walking! I think my wife swapped out my 5 shot with blanks. She doesn't like eating pheasant much! I'm sure that's what the problem was! :D :D :D Hope everyone had/has a good weekend!

Jim

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Tons and tons of birds this year got my limit both day's, 21 birds total in our group of 3 adults and 2 teens!

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Jim you gotta get a gun that shoots straight...and 3 good walks by a 7 year old kiddo is pretty darn good...some pheasant country walking can be pretty tough when the plants are as tall as you...I understand lack of inseam problems!... ;D...dont burn'em out and they will hunt with you forever!...

·
Registered
832 Posts
Great job getting the kids out, Jim! You won't regret it in a few years when you are looking for a reliable hunting partner! :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts