Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally I feel that the pheasant tail is a great all around pattern, but it seriously lacks durability.  I've tried tying some up with different wire varations and wondered if anyone else knows of a material that works as a great substitute.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions you my have.

·
Registered
179 Posts
i went to the west denver trout unlimited fly tying show the 11th and this guy was tying something he called a "bullet proof p-tail" that he developed because of the regular p-tails being fragile.i have not tried any yet but plan to tie some up and see if they are as good as the original.he uses brown hen for the tail,ties in the p-tail for the abdomen but wraps the feather around the thread first.some guys also said you can use vet thin wire to wrap the p-tail material around for duability. the thorax is the same but instead of folding back the feather for the legs,he cuts them flush and ties in more hen hacle for the legs saying that holds up better. i forgot which shop he works for so don't know where you can see it. you might just google the name and see what comes up.

·
Registered
937 Posts
I tie mine with micro tubing and no wire. They hold up good.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
That's one fly that I can never tie to look like what's in the store. I don't know why. I can tie #26 RS2's all day, but my PT's look like a 5 year old did them. I have a ton of pheasant tail mutants sitting around that I don't really want to try in a fishing situation (who knows, they just might work even better). I guess I'll have to buy them in the store.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I've just never been much of a PT guy. There are people that live and die by them who are far more acomplished anglers, but I just find them to be a rather generic all purpose nymph. I guess if they had to be one thing, they would be closest to a caddis emerger...but why not just toss a more precise caddis emerger? They do however have a very "buggy"look to them and I think thats what fish go for more then anything when they take a PT.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have been reading a book called Fishing the Front Range. The author talks about a fly called "Colorado King" a variation of a caddis.

Has anybody used this fly?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts