Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,
On the dawn of a new ice season, I need to locate a source for the piano wire to make my own strike indicators. The only store-bought ones I've found worth the money are the ones sold at that little bait shop in Aurora/Cherry Creek. Most commercial ones are long enough for my liking.

I live in the Springs, so a local source would be nice. I've purchased similar wire from Ace and Hobby Lobby, but it lacks the spring-back that the piano wire has.

Looking for a specific source, not a "call your local piano repair guy."

Thanks,

Jeff

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Cheap and about the right length and it springs back...the wire sprinkler flags are on at home depot or other hardware stores...and it is cheap...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for both suggestions. I went to Hobby Town today, next to Sam's Club up here in the Chapel Hills area. They had .032 wire in 3-foot lengths for .45 each. I figure I can make three per length as I like them a little longer. Gives the more aggressive biters a few feet of lateral travel before the hook angle self sets. A real plus on the static rod. I add a large corky drifter for visibility and to cover the wire wrap ... makes it nearly impossible for the line to get caught up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Best Regards,

Jeff

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
ColoAngler said:
I add a large corky drifter for visibility and to cover the wire wrap ... makes it nearly impossible for the line to get caught up.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Best Regards,

Jeff
Hey CA, instead of doing the wire wrap on the tip joint try joining the tag end with the main shank with shrink tubing. You may have to double up the tubing depending on the thickness of the material. Cover the whole tag end and you will not have any problems with line hangup! Here's a pic of what I mean. Good luck!!!

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
fishinlooney said:
Dang those are good looking strike indicators. Do the different colors show different spring tensions?
Thx Jeff! No on the colors, just using up the last of the pack of tubing...kinda patriotic lookin I guess!!! ;D I rig them through the eye V runners to slide up and down the rod tip, this adjusts the tension enough for the various bite. This is a pic of a mock up to show what I mean.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Nice addition. Where do you get the shrink wrap?

Best Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I think the one on the left is his supplier!...

·
P I K E
10,084 Posts
ColoAngler said:

Best Regards,

Jeff
Try Ace Hdwe or any auto parts store, it's used for electrical connections mostly. Just ask them for shrink tubing! ;D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts