Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe how much people still litter! Even when "going green" seems to be the trendy thing to do, I still see trash everywhere at local lakes/ponds.

I always pack out everything I take in - and generally I pick up the extra trash I can. Went out today and was disgusted by how much trash there was at a local pond - I picked up over two bags full of litter, and it could still use plenty of cleanup.

Is it so hard to pick up after yourself? Ridiculous! :mad:

·
Registered
6,684 Posts
Went to a local pond yesterday and left with a pocket FULL of loose string that i picked up off the shore and caught out of the water. Even picked up a couple hundred yard piece of mono with 3 hooks and a rock tied to it!! It was about 20' from a trash can!! WTF

Thanks for helping out Weezy!! The people who left the trash dont appreciate it.....but I sure do!! !! !! !! !!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the support - I'd like to think MOST people are responsible enough to pack out what they take in. But obviously, not everyone abides by that etiquette.

I'm considering taking it a bit further and getting a group together and touring a few local lakes this summer - do some clean up, do some fishing, meet some people...

Also, not sure where everyone is located, but there is an upcoming cleanup/restoration at Bear Creek Lake - food is provided...

http://www.rei.com/event/18484/session/22630

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
RVinson said:
Went to a local pond yesterday and left with a pocket FULL of loose string that i picked up off the shore and caught out of the water. Even picked up a couple hundred yard piece of mono with 3 hooks and a rock tied to it!! It was about 20' from a trash can!! WTF

Thanks for helping out Weezy!! The people who left the trash dont appreciate it.....but I sure do!! !! !! !! !!
The rock and line and 3 hooks was somebodies jug line. :D :D

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Weezy said:
Thanks for the support - I'd like to think MOST people are responsible enough to pack out what they take in. But obviously, not everyone abides by that etiquette.

I'm considering taking it a bit further and getting a group together and touring a few local lakes this summer - do some clean up, do some fishing, meet some people...

Also, not sure where everyone is located, but there is an upcoming cleanup/restoration at Bear Creek Lake - food is provided...

I would be interested in helping out for the cleanup. I would like to bring my 10 & 7 yr old girls! They would enjoy this much and actually might help them enjoy fishing more.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
I also wanted to mention that I was fishing a small pond off of Arapahoe Rd & Rivere pkwy behind Cochlear Americas. When I approached the pond I noticed how much trash was in there. After fishing for over a half hour I started to get disgusted. You could fill a 20 yard dumpster. The pond is maybe 1.5 - 2 acres with about 2acres of reeds surounding it and you would need a row boat to clean this place up! I was creeped out.

·
Registered
4,731 Posts
K let's do something about it. There's a load of members on this site. Call a cleanup. I met Z, Tthepikester, SSwan, WE, Donald, Jay, LMac and loads more at a clean up. Done em at Lone Tree, Chatty, Jefferson. Otherwise...trash happens. I try and pick up what I can around me when I'm out. If you want help putting one of these trash pu's together pm me. I'll make the flyers for bait shops, posters to help out. Yeah bunch o pigs out there, gee where'd they come from? I'm in for a good ol cleanup...make it happen.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Weezy said:

Weezy,
Make sure you keep me posted on getting a cleanup together! I would like to do what ever it is I can to help out!

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome - glad to know there are people willing to help. Let's get something going in the near future.

I am open to suggestions on bodies of water... I'm in the west denver/lakewood area, and there are plenty of smaller ponds that could use help. Anything stick out to you guys?

Let's get it done! ;D

·
Registered
227 Posts
I'd be down on a trash pick-up. I was a Ranger at Chatty last season and did my best to pick-up trash when ever I had time. I was working the North Boat ramps last year and I'd do a trash pick up about once every other week. I **** you not, I would fill 2 to 3 very large trash bags every time I did trash pick-up along the banks and dam by North ramps. I SOOOO wanted to catch some of these slobs and write some citations (instant court appearance for littering by the way) but didn't ever catch anybody in the act.
I'm unable to do the Ranger job again this season -- which kinda sucks -- but I'd most definitely be down on doing some trash detail somewhere. I live close to Chatty, South Platte Park and Harriman. Those places are always in need of some cleaning up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I once assisted the warden up at the Forebay with an impromptu clean-up of about 40 broken Corona bottles, around a makeshift fire ring.

When we were done, we chatted for a bit about fishing and the like, and sure enough, a guy goes strolling by with a bottle of Corona in his hand, from a campsite adjacent to the lake near the gate.

The warden looks at me and says "been great, thanks for your help. Time to have a little fun..." O0 O0

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Myth Lab said:
I once assisted the warden up at the Forebay with an impromptu clean-up of about 40 broken Corona bottles, around a makeshift fire ring.

When we were done, we chatted for a bit about fishing and the like, and sure enough, a guy goes strolling by with a bottle of Corona in his hand, from a campsite adjacent to the lake near the gate.

The warden looks at me and says "been great, thanks for your help. Time to have a little fun..." O0 O0
Nice work!

I went to the pond that started this thread today, the water level was way down! I picked up a few things here and there, but to my surprise, there was a woman out there with a full bag of trash picking things up! I was amazed! And the pond actually looks pretty decent now!

On the down side, I went to a second lake today for some fishing - and it was as bad as I've ever seen - multiple homeless camps, tons of litter, a lot of dumping, even saw a mattress in the lake - it was horrendous, people disgust me sometimes :mad:

·
Registered
67 Posts
I kind of expect homeless dudes to leave trash around, it's when I see fishermen leaving beer bottles and worm containers on the shore that I'm truly baffled. Why did they even go out there if they're just going to make it look like crap?

I'm especially baffled by it when I see it somewhere like Jefferson Lake or even Loch Lomond. Have some damn pride, man.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Saw the post from Myth Lab and had to agree with what has happened at fore-bay. Use to be a great place and great camp sites below the dam. now I would rather pay to use the campground a Twin than put up with the area that has become basically a dump. Still some good areas within four wheeling of the lake but close to the lake is abused by too many idiots.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Myth Lab said:
I kind of expect homeless dudes to leave trash around, it's when I see fishermen leaving beer bottles and worm containers on the shore that I'm truly baffled. Why did they even go out there if they're just going to make it look like crap?

I'm especially baffled by it when I see it somewhere like Jefferson Lake or even Loch Lomond. Have some damn pride, man.
Well Mythlab - I'm glad you understand. I frequent a lot of metro lakes myself, and a lot of them have potential to be great fisheries, and are treated like complete garbage dumps.

Beyond the homeless camps, I saw plenty of fishing trash as well, birds nests, hook wrappers, worm containers etc...

Do your part and try to teach good fishing ethics, leaving no trace when you leave your spot, even pick up litter if you can. If we all do our part, we can certainly improve these conditions.

I am personally going back to this lake this weekend more prepared with bags and going to do what I can to clean that ridiculous mess up.

Very disappointing in this day and age to see our limited resources getting abused like that. ???

·
Registered
542 Posts
I like the idea of a clean up at Bear Creek Lake.If our youngest Grandsan's bday party isnt that day my wife and I WILL be there.It will be a great day to get outside and help clean up after the scum that trash our parks,lakes,ect.WE always pack out more than we came with.Its disgusting what people are doing to our fisheries.GREAT thread.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LUV2FISHHERE said:
I like the idea of a clean up at Bear Creek Lake.If our youngest Grandsan's bday party isnt that day my wife and I WILL be there.It will be a great day to get outside and help clean up after the scum that trash our parks,lakes,ect.WE always pack out more than we came with.Its disgusting what people are doing to our fisheries.GREAT thread.
Nice to hear it - always helps when we as fisherman can take out more than we take in. Even a few pieces here and there makes a big difference

We all have so much exposure with the local lakes/ponds, and can make a huge impact by simply not littering and picking up a few things.

Pretty pathetic people still litter, especially fisherman - but all we can do is try to clean it up and preach packing out what you pack in...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts