Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All and all it was a good night.  Best night of fishing I've had this year.  Went out there with Born2fsh and his son.  Thanks guys.
Ed and his son got their limit of wipers(1 person).  About ten minutes later, my rod is bending over(thinking I was gonna get my 1 limit of wiper).  Pulled the fish up and nothing but a BIG STANK A$$ CARP DISAPPOINTMENT.  Hooked up another crayfish tail and five minutes later my ROD is bending over, again.  I'm doing the 100 yard dash in flip flops to get to my rod.  Daniel/Ed nets my 1 limit of wiper.  For the next hour or so, I got 3 more QUALITY SIZE WIPERS.  I was hoping for smaller than 18 inch wipers.  I don't think wipers that size exist in BIG MAC.  Decided to stop using crayfish, because we hadn't got the catfish I wanted.  Ed cut up the carp that I caught earlier and baited our hooks with it.  I caught 3 QUALITY SIZE CATS before sunrise on the carp filets.  Also, I was throwing rapalas at the dam.  On the first cast I got a hit and right when I brought it up on the bank it broke off taking John's rapala with him/her.  I believe it was a walleye.  Went back and had to break the bad news to John about his rapala.  Got my rapala and gave it another shot.  Third cast, got a hit and right as I was bringing it up, [email protected] fish took off with my rapala (I believe this one was either a wiper or white bass).

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: ROD BENDING NIGHTS @ BIG MAC

I was fishing @ Martin Bay 1- (thanks to HookNLine). No need to wade. The drop off is pretty good. It's my 1st time there so I don't know exactly what the normal water level is. Per John, he said the water level is higher than last year.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: ROD BENDING NIGHTS @ BIG MAC

HookNLine said:
From his pics the water level droped a whole bunch. Last time the water was halfway on those rocks in the back.
Do you think the fishing there will continue like this through August? I love the sand beach on this lake. I was thinking about going camping there.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i have never gotten skunked at big mac before and i was going there since i was 6 years old with my family, it would be nice going again with my grandpa who makes me wade out into the water to cast his rod, i dont mind hes the first person ive gone fishing with.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was using on 8-10 lb test. On one of my rod- I had the 8 lb test but the line was shietty. That was the one that kept breaking. I would recommend lines that are 10 lb test or more and make sure you set your drag. They ain't lying about "SCREAMING REELS". All the fished that I caught was not a tap tap tap, it was a SCREAMING REEL AND ROD BENDING ACTION. I used GAMA OCTOPUS SIZE 4 hooks. Love them hooks. I don't think I missed any hits, besides on the rapalas.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i use the same hooks, and yea i dont think ill buy or use anything else for catfish, i think i might just use my equipment i already have and ask my grandpa when we can go again, any one else going to big mac any time soon?

·
Registered
324 Posts
i am headed up thursday will be there until sunday if any one is going to be up there let me know i am going with my wife,daughter and dog the in-laws are coming up friday we are going to stay by martin bay. would love to fish and hopfuly learn something.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
hey man.. Too bad I wasnt able to go man . It seemed as you and ED had a good time. What was the total number of cats and Wipers caught. Let us know. Told you about them carps and how they are good for baiting..

Lost two Rapalas.. boy I need to teach you how to use em.. lol.

The question about using light Lb test line on your rod.. USE YOUR DRAG.. Set it LIGHTER i guess you would call it. So that when the fish take off the drag will just go and go .. The fish will eventually lose stamina and into the net they go. I use 8 LBs on all my rods.. But check your line once in a while when you have wipers taking it in after another. The line will usually start to tear.

steve

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
monkies_butt said:
hey man.. Too bad I wasnt able to go man . It seemed as you and ED had a good time. What was the total number of cats and Wipers caught. Let us know. Told you about them carps and how they are good for baiting..

Lost two Rapalas.. boy I need to teach you how to use em.. lol.

The question about using light Lb test line on your rod.. Use your drag.. Set it lighter i guess you would call it. So that when the fish take off the drag will just go and go .. The fish will eventually lose stamina and into the net you go. I use *LBs on all my rods.. But check your line once in a while when you have wipers taking it in after another. The line will usually start to tear.

steve
What's up Stevey! Yea you missed out. Should've been there(Mark too). We caught a total of 3 cats, 2 hard fighting carps and 6 badass wipers. One of the guys there said that one of them was a BLUE CAT. Those cats were fun to pull in. I will probably use spider lines next time. I want to catch my 2nd keeper size walleye.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
wiper_stalker said:
  WHOA, they've got blues in there?
Well, I think the 3rd cat was a blue and it was the biggest I caught- Per John's friend. In the light there was blue on the cat's skin and it didn't have the dark spots or specs around the tail.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hey guys, I talked to a park ranger a coupe of years back, when I swear I caught a blue, and he related that there weren't any blues in the lake.

Last weekend when we were up with Hooknline, we caught a cat we thought was a blue as well. So I don't know was the ranger correct?  I tried to pickup a copy of the NE fishing regs for Big MAC yesterday and they were out so the question remains unanswered.  Does anyone no for sure whether Big Mac holds blue cats?

Is Big Mac awesome or what, looks like many board members are realizing the potential for great fishing at this lake. Thanks HooknLine.
Pete

Pete    

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hey Steve, Tony said it just the way it was. Thought we had (Tony) 1 or 2 more wipers. It was a fun time. I want to hit it again this weekend or next. We should have had more catfish, but I was putting too large of pieces of cut bait on, covering the hook too much. Had several good hits but did not connect, due too the hook being covered too much (I think).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts