Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was wondering what are other people's best methods of taking a picture of a fish. I enjoy taking a picture of most of my fish before returning them to the water, but tend to get a bit flustered when the moment arrives. This is sounding like an "ED" commercial at this point but any suggestions on how to get them true to size other then a mark on your rod at a certain length? I feel bad laying them on the bank, harmful affects to that?

·
Registered
145 Posts
A net is a great tool for taking pictures. You can keep the fish in the water while you get set up for the shot. I have been taking pictures with the fish in the water instead on the bank. The reflection of light makes a great effect. Try not to keep the fish out of the water too long. I forgo pictures when I have not landed the fish quickly or if I have problems removing the hook. I usually remove the hook before taking pictures. Just in case the fish bolts. He can get cleanly away instead of replaying and landing the fish a second time. Just my thoughts. Have a great day.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
So using a net definitely the first step.

I feel bad laying them on the bank, harmful affects to that?
There are definitely harmful effects of laying a fish on dry rock, grass, leaves, even snow or ice. Less harmful is laying the fish on wet rocks just within the bank of the river or lake like so:

A yet better technique is kind of hard to describe but hopefully you can get what I'm saying. You lift the fish with your left hand holding it in the traditional "handshake grip". Then hold your camera in your right hand in the same "handshake grip" style (assuming you have a compact camera) so the lens is facing the fish and your thumb is on the photo snapping button and spread your arms apart so that you look something like this:

You won't be able to see the screen of the camera but with a little practice you will line it up easily and get full frame photos of fish that you otherwise couldn't fit in the frame if you were holding the fish in one hand and the camera to your face. It will come out like this:

[img]http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/1610/cuttmedium.jpg

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
regardless of what you do, be careful how your pictures show you holding fish if you post them on this site. people lose their mind over it all the time. hurt feelings result.
don't want that!

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I fish by myself a ton, 'cause I smell bad and I like to listen to weird music.

I would say get a camera like the waterproof Pentax Optio that has a ten second timer. I carry mine attached to a fifteen dollar tripod I got from Target. (being a liberal douche, I don't shop at Wal-Mart.) I slip my waist strap on my chest pack through the legs of the small tripod, or if I am not fly fishing I have extra wading belts I use for this purpose. Sounds like a hassle, but it really is not so bad.

And I do get some good pics that way, un-assisted.

Cheers!

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
  • Use a net
  • Keep fish off dry ground
  • Keep your grubby fingers out of its gills and mouth (trout)
  • Refrain from death gripping it so that its eyes bulge out
  • Support large fish by lifting under their belly like so:

...and you're golden in my book ;)

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
[email protected], great points, all! another great idea is to keep the fish low, as is done in the above picture, so if the flop loose of your hands they dont plunge to their death.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I like to use FFG's method of laying them in a few inches of water before I release. I only do this when I am alone. I have banked them in the past and lined them up next to my rod. Learned my lessons and now keep them in the water as much as possible.

Don't worry about getting them true to size. Most of us have a pretty good idea on how big the fish is just by the pic.

If you really want to know the size you can get the 3yd tape measures at home depot for $.99 and I carry an electronic scale that attaches to the rim of the net. It will weigh the fish right in the net without ever touching it and can deduct the weight of the net as well. For those who can't subtract. ;D

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I do use a net currently but was trying to think of some other options. I like the tripod, but that seems like way too much work. I suppose as long as I remember that's all that really matters.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts