Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thinking I'll try to catch some pike this week. caught one mostly by accident last time at 11 mile. anyone care to share here or PM me your suggestions for whether I focus at 11 mile or spinney and roughly where? this will be a day trip so not a ton of time to drive all over looking.

at 11 mile I was thinking fishing the weeds in/around hobart but would love others' ideas. fishing from shore as per usual.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
For me, spinney has been better for numbers, 11-mile has been better for size.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
For me, spinney has been better for numbers, 11-mile has been better for size.
Plenty of big fish in Spinney. I have personally seen 2 40"ers come out of there in the same weekend, on different days and in different conditions. Spinney is underrated, IMO. It's also about to close....soooo...

Get

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plenty of big fish in Spinney. I have personally seen 2 40"ers come out of there in the same weekend, on different days and in different conditions. Spinney is underrated, IMO.
nice. thanks! not so much going for size although a monster would be all kinds of fun (and the wife will undoubtedly be the one to get it). getting better at filleting them and they are damn tasty in the frier.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I fish mostly high mtn trout and get 12-14". 18" is a big trout to this noob, 20+ is a big pike...I can't fathom a 30" fish. If I get one I'm signing my name on it in sharpie, taking a fish bra pic and putting it back for you. :)

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Be sure to be lippin it in the pic dude!!! :biggrin1:

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
The big pike are foul meat anyway. 20" of pike is going to be your target for best quality meat, give or take a few inches.

·
Registered
16,618 Posts
Hell yeah slip the old lady 20" of pike and she'll be all lubby-dubby!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Put in the time the next few weeks and I'm sure you will bump in to a nice pike. Can't catch them from the couch, so get up to Spinney/ 11-mile as much as possible. This is the time of year to target big fish. Low light seems to be better in my opinion, but a lot of depends on what the fish react to in a specific body of water. Definitely gets your blood pumping when you see a 40" at your feet. Good luck!

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good lord, those at Giants. Wish I could put the time in. I don't get much in the way of time off in the fall.

·
P I K E
10,114 Posts
Rip and Eli puttin a hurt on!!! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Yeah, nice pike!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts