Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard bill elmblad, the local DOW biologist in grand junction, is killing pike that he finds in rifle gap. We were not even told about it! Interesting...your thoughts?

M

·
0 Posts
Well, TFB, the way you put it, it is obviously wrong.

You didn't give enough details, though. Of course if some dude that works for the DOW (or anyone) is catching fish and killing them, it is wrong, and he should be punished. If he is catching them and eating them, which requires killing, then as long as it's within the limits, there is nothing legally wrong with it.

Where did you hear this? Is it a rumor, or can it be confirmed? How is he getting the pike he is killing?

You just left it a little vague.

I like pike, and wish I could catch and release as many as you, but I really don't know what I'm doing. I am a pike supporter.

If you could give out a tad more information about this, so readers don't jump to all sorts of conclusions and create another Jerry Springer post that we are all getting used to, that would be cool.

Thanks, TFB.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my bro talked to him on the phone yesterday. he said that elmblad said that when he is surveying the lake (ie shocking, netting, etc) any pike he shocks/nets is killed.

M

·
0 Posts
Hmm... this sounds like one for the regs. book, but I'm too tired to look anything up. It sounds illegal, and it IS unethical. Sometimes I just wanna push people in lakes and watch them struggle for awhile. Oh well, take it up with the DOW guys in your area...it's the best you can do, I think.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the roundtable on wednesday, the 29th of march should be interesting. I know tons of people that are going besides myself!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Haha, maybe he is just messing with your brother and told him this to set him off? Since everyone knows how your brother feels about the anti-pike thing.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well maybe the pike are overstocked and killing the fish that the other fish need to survive. I have heard stories about pike being so abundant that if caught anglers were advised to leave them on shore, do to the over population of them.because they were so abundant it created a bad enviroment for the rest of the fishery...... Like I said so I have heard can't say if its the truth but heard it from guys like 50 years old so I could be wrong....

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big_Blue said:
Well maybe the pike are overstocked and killing the fish that the other fish need to survive. I have heard stories about pike being so abundant that if caught anglers were advised to leave them on shore, do to the over population of them.because they were so abundant it created a bad enviroment for the rest of the fishery...... Like I said so I have heard can't say if its the truth but heard it from guys like 50 years old so I could be wrong....
pike are not stocked at all and are hardly overpopulated. They are consuming primarily rough species of fish (carp, suckers, golden shiners), along with some yellow perch and the occaisional 10" stocker trout. Body condition is excellent in the northerns at rifle gap and that is another reason I can tell they are not overpopulated. Overpopulated northern pike are out of food and emaciated. Rifle gap has plenty of food and fat pike. There has been absolutely no drop in the quality of fishing there since northern pike have been introduced for the other species, and the pike fishing is just an added bonus.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Well thats good to know... So the question is why is this guy killing them??? I say we should shock him and watch him fish flop on the floor for awhile and when he stops zap him again >:D

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Big_Blue said:
Well thats good to know... So the question is why is this guy killing them??? I say we should shock him and watch him fish flop on the floor for awhile and when he stops zap him again >:D

ROTFLMAO!!

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
513 Posts
Good for Emblad. Wack'em and stack'em. Pike do not belong in the Colorado River drainage.

Remeber the DOW's first responsibility is to the native wildlife of Colorado. the sportsmen of CO albeit extremely important are secondary.

M

·
0 Posts
You guys are confusing me ??? it's ok to kill pike but not ok to kill carp?

Clackaram?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Depends on the situation and location. Probably would not hurt to remove any carp from Rifle Gap either.

From a management perspective the DOW can remove fish as they see fit. As anglers we should make choices within the laws as well. If an angler chooses to release a pike caught in the Colorado River drainage, that is within the laws of CO. We all make choices in life, some good and some not so good. The folks who illegally stocked pike/walleye in the various reservoirs of Western Colorado, or Yellow Perch in Blue Mesa, are scummiest of the scum from this anglers perspective.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
ClackaRam said:
Good for Emblad. Wack'em and stack'em. Pike do not belong in the Colorado River drainage.

Remeber the DOW's first responsibility is to the native wildlife of Colorado. the sportsmen of CO albeit extremely important are secondary.
I am almost willing to bet trout eat almost as much chubs as the pike do, rainbow trout are not native to Colorado so why is it ok to stock them in that drainage system then? They are a predatory fish as well. We have 2 established endangered populations, one more and they are off the endangered list. Wiping out the pike isnt going to remedy this, they have to find a non damed drainage and preferably one with a low predator count.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
ClackaRam said:
Depends on the situation and location. Probably would not hurt to remove any carp from Rifle Gap either.

From a management perspective the DOW can remove fish as they see fit. As anglers we should make choices within the laws as well. If an angler chooses to release a pike caught in the Colorado River drainage, that is within the laws of CO. We all make choices in life, some good and some not so good. The folks who illegally stocked pike/walleye in the various reservoirs of Western Colorado, or Yellow Perch in Blue Mesa, are scummiest of the scum from this anglers perspective.
The pike were stocked by the DOW so what exactly are you saying?

·
Registered
513 Posts
ePiC said:
I am almost willing to bet trout eat almost as much chubs as the pike do, rainbow trout are not native to Colorado so why is it ok to stock them in that drainage system then?  They are a predatory fish as well.  We have 2 established endangered populations, one more and they are off the endangered list.  Wiping out the pike isnt going to remedy this, they have to find a non damed drainage and preferably one with a low predator count.
You would lose that bet if you compared rainbows to pike or smallmouth. The DOW is targeting the species that have the greatest impact on native fishes.

You are correct that habitat needs to be improved. What is easier, kill some pike, or take down a damn?

·
Registered
513 Posts
[The pike were stocked by the DOW so what exactly are you saying?
Pike were stocked into Stagecoach and pike and SMB into Elkhead. They got into the Yampa in the early 90's when Elkhead was drained on an emergency basis by the dam operator. No the DOW did not stock pike or SMB into the Yampa.

Pike were illegally stocked into Rifle Gap.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
maybe the dow dosn't always tell what they stocked and where. a good example are the tiger muskies in joe wright res. the dow must have stocked them when they dumped the big lakers in but they never told anyone about it. WHY?. i think this happens more than we would like to believe.

·
Registered
664 Posts
People are the problem, not the fish. Lets get rid of all the people, they're the ones who screwed it up to begin with.

The real problem with the planet is the infestation of humans.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts