Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
Call me crazy-I know my girlfriend of 11 yrs. does-but I like to catch pike.  I really like to catch pike.  They are a great sportfish IMHO, they can be caught on too many lures to mention here, and I've heard they taste good to boot, although I release all that I catch.  

We seem to be in a "hate the pike" mode here in CO on many bodies of water and I just don't understand.  I grew up back east where guys would fish for trout and throw smallmouth bass up on the bank because they were "junk fish" and encroaching on their trout water.  Beauty is in  the eyes of the beholder!!  Maybe it was a mistake to stock pike in some of these CO waters-remember when they were first introduced we were told they would eat the rough fish like carp and suckers and leave the trout alone.  Didn't work out that way did it?  

So on trophy trout waters like Spinney I think the trout resource is something we need to protect, but on many other waters, especially put and take lakes, I say the pike are here and God bless 'em.  A perfect example of what I am talking about is Martin Lake at Lathrop State Park.  They got largemouth and smallies, some walleye and wipers and stocker trout.  And they have some really big pike in that lake that I am sure are dining on the trout.  Which means you can catch a trophy sized pike there-they've already caught quite a few there this spring.  I'll take a 40" pike anyday over an 11" stocker trout.  Ed

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.