Colorado Fisherman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I think pike harvest is a good thing, and in lakes with TROPHY fishing of other species extreme pike harvest is the right thing to do. However, anti pike biasness by DOW has caused a few great pike fisheries on the west slope fail. A classic example is Harvey Gap reservoir. It had trophy fishing for nothing before pike were put in there, had small rainbows, small panfish, and decent bass. Then pike were put in. The pike grew big, and with enough anglers and a SMALL limit to keep their numbers in check, the pike flourished. The fishery was amazing for pike, panfish, and bass. The pike did damage the stocker trout fishery, but it was just a stocker trout fishery. The trout can't grow big at harvey, the water is too warm and the trout really shouldn't even be stocked in there. DOW, like always, decided to kill pike in favor of a 10" mushy stocker trout. They lifted the bag limit on pike, just so a 10-12" put and take stocker trout fishery could come back. There used to be trophy pike, and a good number of them. Now what would you prefer, 10-12" mushy stocker trout or a 30" northern pike? Pretty much everyone would prefer the pike. Story short, since DOW changed the limits and regs in harvey gap, the pike fishing there is a small image of what it used to be. They aren't even very common in there anymore. :'( Now that is what I call mismanagement. This is why I think the blanket limit on pike (no limit at all), pretty much across the state is terrible. Like I said, if the fishery say has TROPHY trout that belong there, yeah harvest the pike. but if it can't support a decent fishery of anything else, pike can oftentimes be the perfect fish for such a place, like they were for harvey gap in its boom years of the early-mid 1990's.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
fishingkats said:
well i see and hear what troutfishingbear and iceintheveins
are saying but you dont realize that money make things happen trout in the state of colorado is big money just like the snow is big money  
you need to show dow that taking the pike is going to hurt the economy up there that the pike are bringing in people to those lakes and area
because if you can prove it and show where business up there need the pike then you have a chance to change minds
and if you can get business owners to realize that they need the pike fishermen and women then you have a real good chance of having people listen to you
but other states have bigger pike and pike fisheries just like we have trout fisheries
so you have a battle on your hands because trout are easyer to grow in little streams and lakes in the mountains then pike
I see your logic fishingkats, but I hate to tell ya its wrong :-\. Talk to the guys up in haiden, craig, and that area. The guys that own the baitshops and even the river guides. They all are mad at the pike removals, even the trout flyfishing guides liked the pike being in there. Talking to shop owners they have said their sales have dropped dramatically since the removals.
As for pike not growing big in colorado, that is a statement to laugh at. There are not many states where the state record is over 30 pounds, I believe only 10 states, and colorado is one of them. (30 pounds and change by Dave Vancleave out of williams fork) On the yampa river last year I caught two pike, an 11# and a 14-15 (appx)#. Colorado Pike are much bigger pike on average than in most places in the united states, if you'll look at the facts it is right there. I'm not trying to bash you fishingkats just giving you the straight facts, instead of the DOW's brainwashed information, alright? Like I said, not trying to be a problem, just thought you might like to know the truth.
Ed, I agree 100% with what you said.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Do you think the limit should be unlimited in lakes too warm for trout and the trout can barely even hold over? I think having the unlimited limit in lakes like this is terrible, especially when the pike improve the lake in every way except they chomp the little 10" mush fish (stocker rainbows)

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
IceInTheVeins said:
How people can swallow their systematic campaigns of propaganda and disinformation is beyond me. More anti pike baloney.
These are the division's "best trout lakes" on paper and they must look like they do everything to manage them strictly for trout. However, it seems even on lakes not meant for trout and where good trout fisheries don't exist like harvey gap, crawford, and many others, it is ridiculous that they won't manage them for pike fisheries. Yeah, I've heard the travel and revenue thing, but people don't come from all over to fish harvey gap, crawford, skagway, and others to catch a 10" mushy stocker.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
to clarify: if pike ever established themselves in the colorado river around glenwood I would be upset.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.