Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured as much and had heard rumors. but never caught one Myself...
Nate posted it with a video on FB last nite...
If I was a bit more computer savvy, I would have shared the link...
But, I'm not... You'll need to check it out Yourselves...

Bummer, I'm sure there are more. Gonna change that lake for sure over the next few years...:p

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Why? You one of those trout guys that doesn't understand how apex predators are actually beneficial for ecosystems?

I for one hope they blow up in there... LOL stupid ass trout. >:D

In all seriousness, there's plenty of food and competition in that lake. Pike can only make it better, IMO.
TROUT GUY... ?? Bwaahaahaa !
(although I do catch a few here and there)
There are enough "toothy critters" that reside there now...
The trout will provide a LOT of nourishment to any PIKE for sure....
So will the Walleye "turdlings" that grow to be what I seek..
Pike will eventually take over and stunt Themselves, as They do in "most" reservoir environments.....
ESPECIALLY with OUR CPW management practices...

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
TROUT GUY... ?? Bwaahaahaa !
(although I do catch a few here and there)
There are enough "toothy critters" that reside there now...
The trout will provide a LOT of nourishment to any PIKE for sure....
So will the Walleye "turdlings" that grow to be what I seek..
Pike will eventually take over and stunt Themselves, as They do in "most" reservoir environments.....
ESPECIALLY with OUR CPW management practices...
Well, I wasn't sure. Seems like only trout guys still believe "they're eating all the trout!". You said bummer, so I could only surmise it was pike hatred due to trout love.

Like I said, there is plenty enough competition to keep the pike in check, IMO. Big cats, big walleye, and a handful of big bass. Pike will definitely put a dent in that small smallmouth population, again, IMO that can only help the bigger smallies.

I have noticed an increase in average size of the smallies being caught in there over the last few years. Hopefully this will be great for the bigger fish.

I for one am very excited. Pike in the metro...hell yeah! :eek::clap2::flame:

·
Registered
41 Posts
Four or five years ago someone posted a picture of a pike they caught standing on the docks in the north boat ramp at chatty. Think it was on one of the other sites. If there are more than a couple in there it's a slow process.

·
Registered
7,804 Posts
Did they say if they kept it? I know in the vid they didn't put it back, but the vid ended with him holding it.

Hope they put it back, perfect spawner there. >:D

It definitely seems like a slow process. Too many hungry mouths in there, so they're gobbling up baby pike fish sticks maybe? I'm ok with that too. Supports my theory that they will be well kept in check.

Here's hoping for a metro pike fishery that rivals South Park, sooner, rather than later!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I wasn't sure. Seems like only trout guys still believe "they're eating all the trout!". You said bummer, so I could only surmise it was pike hatred due to trout love.

Like I said, there is plenty enough competition to keep the pike in check, IMO. Big cats, big walleye, and a handful of big bass. Pike will definitely put a dent in that small smallmouth population, again, IMO that can only help the bigger smallies.

I have noticed an increase in average size of the smallies being caught in there over the last few years. Hopefully this will be great for the bigger fish.

Well, "hopefully" The Pike that may be present will eat up some of the Smallie (over) population... There are way too many 8-10" ers present now..Used to be that there were plenty 16-20+" Smallies there... (15 years ago,anyway)
I know that the Eye population is getting hit REALLY hard over the last few years... that itself, decreases the "Toothy Critters" feeding on the Smallies..
IF, and thats a "BIG IF"..... CPW makes some sound decisions going forward, We may see some BIG PIKE thrive there...
Just so We don't end up with a mass of 20" "hammerhandles" which only become a nuisance....

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
Its only a 1200 acre lake, there only so many places they can hide! If people creel them they won't take over. Maybe they will also eat some carp minnows!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts

There's enough shad in Chatty, the pike won't have to eat much else. I'm sure they will slurp down the occasional slimer though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts