Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I'm getting into the whole pike game. I fished Spinney and 11 Mile and did well on a lipless crank so i know that works. But I want some big pike. I know it's possible with lipless cranks but i want something bigger as far as lure selection. I know the rats, spinnerbaits and even some top water stuff seems like it's good. I've been even looking at Savage Gear lures. like pictures blow. As far as my tackle I just purchased a heavy G-Loomis rod, just wondering what anyone thinks is a good LB line for these setups?

Also besides daredevils and spinners, anyone else have any other pike lure suggestions?

·
Registered
936 Posts
I use 20lb line, 20lb leader. Heavy g-loomis rod will work fine. I prefer medium heavy. Savage gear lures work well. Most bass lures work equally as well for pike. Dare devils and spinners wouldn't be my "go to" lures here in CO. Spinner baits/buzz baits work well. The type of spinner bait/buzzbait makes a different (colorado blade, double willow blades, etc...). You'll have to experiment on whatever body of what you're fishing.

The big stickbaits you use for other species work very well for pike too. They really eat just about anything, so its finding the right lure for the day and conditions.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I do alot of Pike fishing and I like the Falcon HD heavy duty 69.99. I use 50lb power pro because it has a bigger diameter tied to Surflon Micro Supreme nylon 7X7 stainless 20lb leader. Never had a pike break that,
Pike.jpg
I have had them chew through 30lb big game. Spinner baits/buzz baits, chatterbaits r wicked, stickbaits, 5" tubes and hollow bodied with colored to match what they r eating. I will say that pike are not all that picky when they are on the bite.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the great info guys! I have picked up some live target swimbaits in trout and sucker pattern, as well as spinner baits and even bucktail spinners with twister tail trailers.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
The bbz1s and bbz1 juniors are great. They have floating, slow sink and fast sink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts