Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished Rifle Gap yesterday from about 11:30 to 3:30. Mid 60's, sporatic clouds, medium wind. Was fly fishing from shore in shallow water with a deciever type minnow fly. Was also throwing spinner baits and jerks, but was too shallow to be effective so the fly was the way to go. Landed two pike, both around 30", one about 10 lbs and the other about 12 lbs, very fat and healthy. Both were C&R. Had one other short strike that I could see. These fish were caught in less than two feet of water. Water was pretty warm to the touch so I would imagine a couple really warm days will get the fish moving towards deeper water. Guaging by the water temp and the mood of the fish at Rifle, I would guess Stagecoach and Willies Fork will be heating up in another week or two once the pike finish thier spawn and recover. Here's a few photos. I was fishing alone and used the camera on my phone so the quality is not the best, but you get the idea. Get out there and do some pikin while the pikin is good.

Tight Lines,

Rip Lip

First Pike of the day, around 12 lbs???? Fat & Healthy

Second Pike about 20 minutes later, around 10 lbs????

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very nice - I'm going to have to troop over to Stagecoach in the near future - you just activated the pike bug!

In 2003 a buddy and me were fishing there and stumbled onto this gal floating :( 

The fish was 42" and though I didn't have a scale, easily over 25 lbs (she was chunky).  Certainly within whispering range of the state record (43.5", 30 lbs).  It was tagged and I called it in to DOW, but never heard anything back.  Sure wish I could've said we caught it rather than found it...

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
skinzier - That is a grande pike you are holding. One sping up at Stagecoach we say 4 or 5 huge dead pike shortly after ice off. I could only think that spawing takes so much out of a fish like that they never recover and die. We never saw any small ones dead??? Either that or old age, don' know. Here is some more inspiration for ya all. Put your time on the water and one day it will pay off with a big fish like these.

DoninDenver - About as gratifying to me as those huge macs you're catching up at the Gorge. As you know it takes time, but is well worth it in the long run.

My fishing buddy with what we estimated as a 48" pike, around 32 lbs, still swimming

Myself with a personal best: approximately 42", 21 lbs. Still swimming

·
Registered
59 Posts
I agree with you as far as spawning - we saw one other large one dead as well. It was about this time of year. Oh well, if you gotta go, I guess that's a good way to do it! ;)

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Skindzier - I didn't notice you said that dead pike was taged. I'm surpised you never heard anything back from the DOW, well not really. It would be interesting to see what, if any data they have on that fish. I'm sure they could tell you when it was taged and how big it was then. They have to have record of it, i'm sure. I may hit up Rifle this weekend, but will most likely be targeting the Coach in the next few weeks. All the rivers are blown out so it's stillwater season for me. I love the variety.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Great report! I didn't do so bad today on the pike myself....oops I said too much!
Gotta love those esox...my biggest this spring is only 34" (didn't get a weight on it) so I gotta improve that. sunday will be a good opportunity.
By the way, that 42" pike you have would only be about 7 years old according to the biologist who manages stagecoach- that is the fastest growth rate ever recorded for a pike!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hey Rip Lip you didn't PhotoShop out the background this time. Aren't you worried someone may find out about the #1 Pike fishery in the state? Pretty risky.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Fishdawg said:
Hey Rip Lip you didn't PhotoShop out the background this time. Aren't you worried someone may find out about the #1 Pike fishery in the state? Pretty risky.
#2 pike fishery anyway...yampa river is #1. Everyone already knew which lake it was anyway. Those are great fish and I love seeing them!!! BTW riplip I'll be at rifle tomorrow...black no fear hat and sunglasses or glasses...always.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
well don't just post a pic of a magnificent fish like that without more details!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
I have to get up to the coach man. Elevenmile has fish like that but not many. There is hundreds if not thousands of 10-15 pounders in Elevenmile but not many 25 pound hogs. I don't know if I should wait until the fall or go this spring. I will have 4 days so I think I could get into them pretty good with that much time on the water. I hate to keep hashing on this but Spinney usted to havethe fastest growth rate for pike of any water in North America. Everybody knows what happen to that lake.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
waterwolves, a 42" pike at stagecoach is 7 years old, that beats spinney's old growth rate. Have fun! Just release those monsters everyone.....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts