Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to learn more about Pike/Muskie fishing. Can anyone reccomend some reading, offer tips, locations anything that would help. Reply or Personal message me.
Thanks much in advance.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Subscibe to ESOX Angler magazine. They have a web site as well.

Subscribe to In-Fisherman magazine. They have a web site as well.

Log on to www.thenextbite.com and read some of their articles on Musky fishing. There are lots and lots of places on the web to find info.

Take what you learn from those places and put some time on quality Pike/Musky waters and you're all set. It will take you a while to accumulate the various tackle, baits and to learn good waters, but it's all about time on the water and huckin lots of baits.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts

grandslam --  

You can do a search on this site for "pike" and "muskie" and you'll find some good info.  When you're reading about pike/muskie fishing in general, keep in mind that 40+ inch pike and muskie are common in lakes in the upper midwest and in Canada, but those are big fish in Colorado.  

Also, Colorado waters tend to be very clear.  Using a steel leader might make sense on a certain lake in Minnesota, but it might tend to spook pike in Colorado.  

Have fun!   ;D    

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Brandon,

If you have TiVO id suggested making a wishlist with the key words: Pike and Musky

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

L

·
0 Posts
The In-Fish book is a good book. Fishing for them is the way to really learn though.

Get the book, then fish!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
It took me close to a month and a half of fishing 3 days a week 12 hours a day to finally land my first pike. I lost a few along the way. Read all the books you can. there is quiet a few but as has already been said "Time on the water" is the best way to learn. I suggest that you go out to a prime Northern lake like Elevenmile, Stagecoach, Spinney, and start fishing for them either now or right after ice out. Try and go through an entire yearly cycle with a local pike population. You will learn a lot. They start off in the back of shallow bays spawning either under the ice or right after ice out. Good luck!

·
Registered
283 Posts
pike are easy to catch get 7 or 8 ft rod med weight i use 10 lbs test . u can use wre leader but i pref. not to. i like frog pat top water lures, buzz baits, buck tails ect. fish shallow bays 1 + feet of water, fish the weed line. i like a little wind so the fish cant see you as well. try 11-mile, willims fork, lake villecito, navajo, taylor park

1 - 8 of 8 Posts