Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Almost...I have been fishing this new spot I found that's within 25 minutes of where I live. I heard it has a few big pike and a good variety of other stuff. Been hitting it lately and so far have just caught some trout and carp. I tried throwing the bbz1 junior in rbt for a while. Then I tried some spinning stuff. Then I busted out the ole fly rod. I casted for a while and I forgot what exactly I was doing but at one point I sort of dropped my fly in the water right in front of me to look ah my reel or something. At that moment, a nice pike lunged at my fly. I reacted to quickly and pulled it away from him twice. He surprised the hell outta me. I tried a couple casts by where I thought he went and no luck. I continued to cast out my little streamer and strip it back, moving down shore as I went. Lots of missed hits. I forgot how frustrating timing can be when it comes to setting the hook right when streamer fishing, especially with smaller fish that have trouble getting their mouth around the fly. I ended up getting several smaller bows landed.

By this time the sun was about ready to set. I started casting out again and let my streamer fly. It hit the water and probably a second after, my line was tight. Whatever it was, it ate my fly on the drop and once hooked was PISSED. The fish went from being at my two to about my ten within a split second. I could see the fish was long and was sure it was a pike. As I got it in closer, I realized it wasn't a pike but a nice bow!

Honestly a pike woulda been cooler but the trout was a treat and put up a hell of a fight. I'm sure I'll pull a pike out of there soon enough. It's a sweet little spot, especially considering how close it is.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Nice catch whompus!! I cant wait to chase those pike in April...all I need is spinney to defrost....

·
Registered
358 Posts
Lol........ Can't say no to big pike......... easier said than done though........ got to figure out how to cook them up and eat them......... sounds like you've got a good spot........try Wellington #4 or smith lakes there near you........since spinney has been untouched for awhile the pike fishing should be nuts........ perfect that bbz1 technique and land some brutes!

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Lol........ Can't say no to big pike......... easier said than done though........ got to figure out how to cook them up and eat them......... sounds like you've got a good spot........try Wellington #4 or smith lakes there near you........since spinney has been untouched for awhile the pike fishing should be nuts........ perfect that bbz1 technique and land some brutes!
Yeah? What website did you just look that up on?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
If you're gonna just look stuff up online and parrot it, you might wanna include a disclaimer. Otherwise people might think you know what you're talking about! I know damn well you haven't been to Wellington or smith! Nyuh nyuh nyuh! Jp peace and love!

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm trying to help you mang :) I've fished both but don't take my word for it......... apparently you go everywhere I fish......... funny cause I haven't seen you there. If your gonna post and someone wants to help you out....... don't talk s**t........ great attitude.......lol

·
Registered
1,863 Posts
I'm trying to help you mang :) I've fished both but don't take my word for it......... apparently you go everywhere I fish......... funny cause I haven't seen you there. If your gonna post and someone wants to help you out....... don't talk s**t........ great attitude.......lol
Im confused, you guys are friends in real life correct? You don't really talk to eachother like you know eachother well.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Cool report, Whomp... I assume you are not in CO, right?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm trying to help you mang
I've fished both but don't take my word for it......... apparently you go everywhere I fish......... funny cause I haven't seen you there. If your gonna post and someone wants to help you out....... don't talk s**t........ great attitude.......lol
Im confused, you guys are friends in real life correct? You don't really talk to eachother like you know eachother well.
Lol I was just messing with him. But I know he hasn't fished those lakes. He is one of my close friends so I know he's full of it when he says he fished there. I live up here and fish the Noco areas. He does not.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm trying to help you mang
I've fished both but don't take my word for it......... apparently you go everywhere I fish......... funny cause I haven't seen you there. If your gonna post and someone wants to help you out....... don't talk s**t........ great attitude.......lol
That's cuz he ls messing with me and thinks he's funny. He's never fishes Noco, let alone the Wellington area. I know he just looked all that up online

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'll admit it's been a minute since I've fished those lakes and don't know how they are now but mang......... explore a little and post some pics for all of us....... this thread is making me want some big pike and a pike on the fly would be sick!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts