Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share with you all a few impressive pike photos from this year. Unfortunately I can't provide specific details on location.

Did not get measurements because we handled them quickly for a few photos and released them to get bigger. This fish we estimated at just over 40 inches and around 21 lbs.

Holy Pikes! Was C&R after a few photos. Estimated at over 45 inches and over 30 pounds. Current state record is 30.6 and 43 inches. Could have been a new record, but she is still swimming. The fish was very thick and healthy. I simply can't wait for next year.

Regards,

Rip Lip

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
very nice pike, were those caught here in colorado , i know williams fork has some huge northerns id sure like to catch one myself like those , anyways very nice picture

·
Registered
594 Posts
I know where those were caught...Akaska...duh...just look at the ice bergs in the background!!!

D

·
0 Posts
Ken Broeren said:
I'll really be impressed if someone can guess the location based on the turbidity of the water... :)
Yeah, and the fact that there are no leaves.....

·
Registered
472 Posts
Very impressive Rip! Love big pike...way to go!

Thanks so much for posting pics. Big fish pictures are one of the things I like most about this forum. Don't sweat not giving the lake name. If folks want big pike, there are only a handful of lakes in Colorado that have them...fish those lakes and you WILL find big pike.

P.S. Special thanks for throwing them back. Gives the rest of us a chance to do the same.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fellas - Thanks for the replies. Both fish were caught on the same day, within a half hour of each other. They were caught in a Colorado Reservoir. Yea, any of the healthy pike fisheries around the state have fish like that in them, you just have to keep fishing for them and hit them at the right time. I don't think it has much to do with having the right bait, but more to do with the right place at the right time. Different baits can come into play if conditions and the mood of the fish call for a faster or slower presentation. Get any bait infront of a predator like that and if they are hungry, they're gonna eat it. I fished for pike a lot this year and in years past only to catch averaged sized fish, but this day was just one of those days when conditions were optimal. Keep huckin for those Pike!

Rip Lip

·
Registered
405 Posts
Yeah they're nice fish, but why doctor photos (edited horizon)... here we Ggggggooooooooo EEEyyyyyyyyyyyeeeeeeeeeguy!!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
kokaneeking said:
very nice pike, were those caught here in colorado , i know williams fork has some huge northerns id sure like to catch one myself like those , anyways very nice picture
A DOW survey last year turned up a would-be state record pike at Williams Fork. It was an electofishing catch, so the fish was released and may still be swimming around there. I saw pictures - huge fish.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I read an article several years back where the author of the piece was sure that the state record would come out of Williams Fork. The DOW survey does well to support that claim.. I believe the current Northern record still stands out of Williams Fork and the Musky out of Quincy.

Catching either fish that size would be akin to muscling-in a torpedo!

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
First of all nice fish!!!!! You guys definately know what you are doing!

What is the big secret? There is only a handfull of lakes in Colorado capable of producing fish like those anyways. No need to name what cove, or what lure? The minute I see photo's that were edited I get suspicious! Especially when you ask me to believe that someone released a possible state record!

Hopefully you won't take this personnally!!! But with all the ******** I read on all fishing sites, I get skeptical. Those are really nice Pike and you should be proud of them no matter where you caught them! Just don't understand why the location is a state secret?

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
All I know  is that we allowed certain people on this site to bash the DOW relentlessly!! Saying rediculous things like the DOW has removed or killed all the Pike in Spinney and 11-Mile!! These people didn't even fish these lakes! If these fish were caught at either? I would like to see that posted so we can discredit all the ######## that has been allowed in the past And if these fish were caught at Williams Fork or Stagecoach? Like I said earlier there is only about four lakes here in Colorado that i believe it is possible to catch a possible state record in and anyone who fishs for Pike seriosly knows them! So what is the big secret?

I want to believe those fish were caught here in Colorado!!!!! And I hope Rip doesn't take this personally! He has every right to tell me(who the hell are you)? And keep the location a secret?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello Everyone!  The only reason I doctored the photos is because people would be able to tell exactly where (location on the reservoir) we caught those fish based on the background.   It has taken me years to determine that those spots are prime locations. There are plenty of fish like that to be caught in many different bodies of water around the state.  People just don't want to put their time in on the water, they want someone to point them in the exact direction, tell them what to use, how to use it, and at what time.  Get out there and fish for them often and it's only a matter of time before you land one the size of your leg.  Just realease the big girls so they can reproduce and the fishery can remain a trophy class fishery.  Keep the smaller ones or even medium sized ones for eating, there are plenty of them around.  Take measurements, good photos and you can get a replica mount of the big fish.   I enjoy this forum and in my opinion is one of the best sources for up to date fishing information around the state, but there are some people here who just complain no matter what.  Be as sceptical as you want.  I know the truth and don't have to use special affects for personal attention.  To all those serious Pike fisherman out there; I hope you enjoy the photos.  They are impressive fish anywhere pike are found.  Keep fishing for them and it's just a matter of time before you are rewarded.  

Rip Lip

·
Registered
16,690 Posts
I was only throwing some fuel on the fire,I really didnt care where the pike were caught. I realize as well as anyone it's all a matter of timing and location. Just put in the time and it might happen. Nice pikeys,dude!

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No harm done and nothing taken personally. We all love to fish and that is what matters most. Even though I don't know any of you personally, you are all considered family in my book.

Get out there and rip some lip!

·
Registered
943 Posts
those are some real pigs. those rival anything canada has to offer. nice job

1 - 20 of 42 Posts