Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all. I am in the market for a new rod for Pike, probably and 8wt. Never fished for pike on a fly rod before, but there are a few really good lakes pretty close to where I live.

What rods are all you pike smashers out there using? Why do you love it or hate it? Any and all acvice and recomendations are greatly appricated. Just know that as much as I would love to have a new Z-axis-S4-Helios-Boron periodic table defying hover-rod; I also like paying rent and having a place to live.

I have been peeping the Redington CPS and its updated friend the CPX as well as the RS4. Also the Echo Ion or maybe something from Albright (XX A/5) but never really held one. I havn't been super impressed with anything from TFO, but hey maybe once I got it out and threw some wind knots, maybe I would like it. Anyone with any experence with any of those?
Again, any and all advice is welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am a great believer in you get what you pay for... But, when you start looking at specialty rods start thinking how often versus the dollars. My trout rod is a Helios but my big 8wt that I may use once or twice a year is a hundred dollor St Croix.
If pike is going to be your prime fish. Go for something good.

Bob

·
Registered
125 Posts
TFO TiCrX..you'll probably want something fast and on the stiff side and that rod is both fast and stiff. $225 for the 8wt isn't bad either! Pair it with a Lamson Konic and you are looking at the ultimate economy 8wt. I wouldn't buy anything that was a noodle especially if you are planning on throwing big flies. Spend the extra $40 and go with the TFO over the Echo..just my opinion.

http://www.templeforkflyrods.com/products/rods/ticrx.html

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have an Echo Ion 8 wt and a Scott STS 9wt that I use for pike. The echo's sweet spot is a size 2 clouser and equivelently weighted flys, making it great fo RMA and smaller pike, but it is a little too soft for anything much bigger. For bigger flys (it seems like bigger is always better for esox) The nice stiff butt of the Scott is money, and it is not overly stiff in the tip, so you can feel it load. If you are looking for something inexpensive, I would reccomend the Scott A3 (8wt if you want it to be species versatile, 9wt if you want esox specific). Sweet Colorado made stick. Not overly fast, but stiff enough to get the job done and very reasonably priced. I just got a A3 11' 8wt for bombing 2 handed casts to Wiper in tigh spots, and so far I am very very impressed.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I used an Okuma 8wt combo for $80 for the first couple years at it, honestly it worked just fine. Stuck fish up to 38" on it.
Last year I picked up a Ross flystik 8' 8wt, it is a sweet streamer chuckin rod. I can't get the same distance as I did with the 9', but it takes a lot less effort to fling the big uglies, and you can put some serious torque on a fish with it.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Rickabilly said:
I have an Echo Ion 8 wt and a Scott STS 9wt that I use for pike. The echo's sweet spot is a size 2 clouser and equivelently weighted flys, making it great fo RMA and smaller pike, but it is a little too soft for anything much bigger. For bigger flys (it seems like bigger is always better for esox) The nice stiff butt of the Scott is money, and it is not overly stiff in the tip, so you can feel it load. If you are looking for something inexpensive, I would reccomend the Scott A3 (8wt if you want it to be species versatile, 9wt if you want esox specific). Sweet Colorado made stick. Not overly fast, but stiff enough to get the job done and very reasonably priced. I just got a A3 11' 8wt for bombing 2 handed casts to Wiper in tigh spots, and so far I am very very impressed.
What type/weight of line are you throwing with that A3?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Like DuckHunt said, you can't go wrong with the TFO TiCrX. I read that you aren't too impressed with them, but spend a day on the water with one and I promise you'll love it. It's reasonably priced, has a great warranty, and is perfect for bombing big streamers, and fighting massive fish.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jerkbait said:
Like DuckHunt said, you can't go wrong with the TFO TiCrX. I read that you aren't too impressed with them, but spend a day on the water with one and I promise you'll love it. It's reasonably priced, has a great warranty, and is perfect for bombing big streamers, and fighting massive fish.
Hey thanks for all the advice guys. As far as TFO goes, my experience is limited to a few of their rods that are not the TiCrX, mainly the professional and finesse series. I have actually never held the TiCrX but will have to check it out. From what I have been reading it sounds like it would be pretty comparable to the Sage Xi2... mega stiff and good for throwing monster pike flies.

·
Registered
329 Posts
hummus cannonball said:
Rickabilly said:
I've only thrown it (if you want to call my weak ass two handed cast that) in the parking lot with a demo rio windcutter. I have an email into Greg Pearson so I can pick his brain on what really works on it so I can make horrible attempts at it with the right line.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Rickabilly said:
hummus cannonball said:
Rickabilly said:
I've only thrown it (if you want to call my weak ass two handed cast that) in the parking lot with a demo rio windcutter. I have an email into Greg Pearson so I can pick his brain on what really works on it so I can make horrible attempts at it with the right line.
Thanks Rick. I was curious if it would throw a true 8wt. line. It is confusing. I was looking at Beulah switch rods, and their 5's are more like 7s...etc. Spey 7s are like 9-10s.

It's a fn mess and I don't like it. :D

·
Registered
329 Posts
A spey/switch 8 is like 400+ grains, which translates into an 11wt in standard line weight... Or at least that's what I gathered from google searches and searching the northwest fishing forum

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Rickabilly said:
A spey/switch 8 is like 400+ grains, which translates into an 11wt in standard line weight... Or at least that's what I gathered from google searches and searching the northwest fishing forum
Thanks!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Rick and cannonball- I know that Theo uses shooting heads for his switch rods, I think he goes 2 line weights up on the A3 switch with standard outbound lines. So 8wt outbound line for a 6wt switch..but I know nothing about that stuff-haha just thought i'd throw it in there!

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
DuckHunt said:
Rick and cannonball- I know that Theo uses shooting heads for his switch rods, I think he goes 2 line weights up on the A3 switch with standard outbound lines. So 8wt outbound line for a 6wt switch..but I know nothing about that stuff-haha just thought i'd throw it in there!
Any addition to the general confusion is always appreciated!

·
The Mayor
2,101 Posts
FishLip said:
I used an Okuma 8wt combo for $80 for the first couple years at it, honestly it worked just fine. Stuck fish up to 38" on it.
I have that 8 wt Okuma combo, I like it. Big enough, maybe a tad sloppy at the top but has a decent hook set. Don't know if it is available new anymore.

BHR

·
Registered
313 Posts
The TFO Ticrx is a good rod, very fast you lose a little feel during the cast but its not bad.

The Albright XX is also a good rod especially for the money but its very stiff really good for sink tips.

The Redington CPX rod is great I really think its a good balance between power and feel.

Another rod to consider would be the new Orvis Access rod another really good handling rod for a reasonable price.

hard to go wrong with any of these rods but it all depends on your stroke and preference. I have a 7wt albright xx if you want to give it a whirl. I just sold my 8wt xx. I also have a Access and Ticrx if you want to give them a try.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts