Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if there are areas open to spearing pike in CO. I just moved here from Michigan and was interested.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
ONly during a fish salvage.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
that would be about it i think the only thing you can shoot with archery/spear equipment is carp and suckers and you can gig frogs just no leopard frogs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm sorry, I was talking about through the ice. Not with a spear gun. Its kind of a way of life in parts of MI.

·
Banned
487 Posts
No areas that I know of. And since are pike are under such siege in this state by a couple braindead organizations, I wouldn't want anyone spearing my pikies.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
even thru the ice the regs are the same carp/suckers or during a salvage. as IceInTheVeins mentioned the dow does not seam to like the pike and i wouldnt be suprized if the DOW started to allow spearing of pike thru the ice. although that would be a great disapointment to many here.

D

·
0 Posts
gibby said:
Can anyone tell me if there are areas open to spearing pike in CO.
That is not a legal method of taking pike in Colorado. I've always been curious about it. I've watched some of those 11 Mile gators sitting under the ice watching my jigs without hiiting them, and figured that's the kind of thing you pike spearers from Michigan and Minnesota must be seeing down your holes. But I've never quite understood it.

I mean no disrespect by this question, but what's the attraction of it?  The meat? The challenge of attracting them in that close?

·
Banned
487 Posts
Don In Denver said:
gibby said:
Can anyone tell me if there are areas open to spearing pike in CO.
That is not a legal method of taking pike in Colorado. I've always been curious about it. I've watched some of those 11 Mile gators sitting under the ice watching my jigs without hiiting them, and figured that's the kind of thing you pike spearers from Michigan and Minnesota must be seeing down your holes. But I've never quite understood it.

I mean no disrespect by this question, but what's the attraction of it?  The meat? The challenge of attracting them in that close?

I agree with roadkill and don. I would be ticked if they started doing that. I suggest no bag limit on those in the CDOW who want pike gone, ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D. Thats a joke, but seriously we need to stop them or we won't have any pike left.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
not that i would suport the wanton destruction of any fishery but for the spearfisher types i wouldnt mind some sort of reg that allowed like 1 or 2 fish a year kinda like deer tags or something. i used to spear fish a lot in southern CA ocean water while skin diveing. not to say what is easyer or harder but tricking a fish into eating or attacking a bait/lure is one thing but sneaking up on a fish close enought to stick it with a spear is something different. i imagine spearing thru the ice to be altogether different still. i have read about people carving large wooden fish lures and useing them dangled thru the ice to attract a fish and then spear it. obviously there is no catch and release with this method but unlike most hook and line techniques you can choose the fish. i can see the camaraderie of a couple friends sitting in a dark shack around a large common ice hole waiting for the right fish to come by?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts