Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Catching one of those would be an absolute riot. But I have not heard of anybody catching them that big on lures, seen smaller gar types caught even on flies, but never heard of a big alligator gar crushing a suick 5' off the gunnel. Could you imagine the sight of that?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
Reminds me of these 2 guys who caught a gar so big they couldn't get it into the boat, so they just took a picture of it, and let it go.

The picture weighed 11 pounds.

;D

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad I didn't get killed over the title. I don't really dislike those fish of course, I just was funnin'.

Gar are awesome. I miss catching them.

But yeah, no fun when $ is on the line right? I had a partner hook the BIGGEST DRUM EVER at Truman one time. Cracked me up so hard! Fish ate his ONLY American Shad pointer right next to the boat and just headed for China. Looked like a trainwreck... must have weighed eighty pounds, really!

Yeah, he lost that bait. ;D ;D ;D

Years ago, I was fishing the edge of a canal, standing on a cyprus knee. I saw a flash of movement, and recoiled reflexively. A fairly large gar swirled and snapped right where my foot had been. I was wearing white tennis shoes, and my theory is the fish was attracted to the flash of the white. I have swam with gar and even gators and never been bothered. I think they are a fairly peaceful fish despite their looks. I hate people bowfishing for them, they are native and deserve respect.

I enjoyed "respecting" them with my trusty Zebco 808... :D

SS

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not to me! :D

I have never thought any fish were ugly. I see them from the perspective of looking at the way their bodies function in their lifestyle. The only time a fish is "ugly" to me is if it is deformed.

OK, hagfish are sorta gross. :p

·
Registered
208 Posts
Gar are awesome to do battle with on a rod and reel. I use to battle gar often in Oklahoma tailwaters. They jump too so it's like fighting a Marlin in a sense.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Barack Hussein Obama said:
The only fish that can hold a candle to the Gar, in my humble presidential opinion... is the Asian carp I catch in the canals south of Chicago. They literally jump for joy when they see me, just like most of the Tea party members.
Seriously?? Lame.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts