Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
im probably the most inexperienced, cuz i have only caught two pike, my most recent this weekend, but both of mine were withoiut a leader on regular old ten pound test mono, obviously pike get way bigger than 10 pound can hold, but i would think it depends on how u r fishing, with my firt pike, i was using about a 7 inch long blue fox ting, so maybe the pike didnt get to the line since the lure was so big, this weekend i was usintg a buzz bait reeling fast so the pike probably caught the tail end, it all depends i guess

·
Registered
90 Posts
Here in Hawaii all the tackle shops carry Mason's hard monofilament leader 25 yd. coils or 100 yd. spools in colors clear, black, or coffee(light reddish brown). Anybody want some sent to CO can do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wire leader is bad news for pike fishing unless you are fishing in murky water.
Pike can bite off anything but wire though. Using heavy fluorocarbon or berkely fireline greatly reduces bite offs. They can still bite through these lines, but its much tougher for them.
I landed hundreds of pike this year, and had only five bite offs.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
Hundreds of Pike? Where are you catching them at and what on?  I could sure use a bunch nice big pike in my freezer!

Dan

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
jobothehobo said:
Wire leader is bad news for pike fishing unless you are fishing in murky water.
Pike can bite off anything but wire though. Using heavy fluorocarbon or berkely fireline greatly reduces bite offs. They can still bite through these lines, but its much tougher for them.
I landed hundreds of pike this year, and had only five bite offs.
ive never seen a pike bite through hard mono...nor barracuda....a shark, yes...but pike's teeth just arent that hard. i dont think pike are too leader shy, so wire isnt a bad option other than its tendency to kink alot.

The newer, thinner and more flexible wires that are offered that take knots works well too...i fished that on a canada trip and was pleased with it. its extra thin, and is easy to work with...

F

·
0 Posts
with the old wire leaders I dont think its the leader itself its those huge barrel and snap swivells

F

·
0 Posts
bite offs....northerns have some nasty teeth .....but if that hard mono can handle a barracuda there is no way a northern is going to cut through it

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Pike have thousands of razor sharp teeth.  If you are not using wire leader and any part of your line is in their mouth, which can happen easily with thier verocious strikes, it most likely will get cut.  However, most often than not you will hook them in the lip or the corner of their mouth and not have a problem breaking off.  I use Tyger wire as leader material on my fly rods as pike tend to inhale flies more regularly than lures.  When bait casting lures I live dangerously and go with mono in the 20 lb range.  I do believe that in the claear water lakes we have around here, along with high fishing pressure, that wire leaders can be noticed or seen by Pike.  Your choice!!  The titanium leaders they have these days are great, they don't kink.  

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dan said:
Hundreds of Pike? Where are you catching them at and what on?  I could sure use a bunch nice big pike in my freezer!

Dan
Well if your gonna put them in your freezer I can't tell you. I release them all because of the unfortunate attitude toward pike in this state.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Humm,,, Hundreds of pike... I would guess the Yampa, maybe the canal system in the San Luis valley, or one of the lakes down there, like Sanchez.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts