Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys i need some in state places.. but ive heard stagecoach is good. have you ever personally fished it through the ice? i was just wonderin anytricks you might be able to give up..

remember to stay on not in the water

·
Registered
217 Posts
Tip up, at least 20-30 lb. black tip up line with an 18-24" steel leader, and half a hot dog on a treble hook (pushed down onto the hook through the shank). Yeah, you read right. Bring on the jokes now, but you will love the results when you try it. Best bait I have ever used for pike.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Reg said:
Tip up, at least 20-30 lb. black tip up line with an 18-24" steel leader, and half a hot dog on a treble hook (pushed down onto the hook through the shank).  Yeah, you read right.  Bring on the jokes now, but you will love the results when you try it.  Best bait I have ever used for pike.
\
Reg:
I'm up for trying (almost!) anything once.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've seen big pike through the ice at both Williams Fk and Stagecoach. Never hooked one, though. Tried many times with tipups and suckers/waterdogs. I know a guy who caught the new state record 2 years ago out of Stagecoach. I think he was in Morrison Cove. Also, Elevenmile has some pigs in it but pretty hard to target through the ice. I think waterdogs are a good bet early on. Colorado pike seem to be WAY more finicky that the pike of the north and midwest (I grew up in Michigan, pike there will hit your foot if you stick it through the hole). Best of luck.
Bonz

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Bonzo:

I was working a seasonal State Park Ranger at Stagecoach when one of the first(illegally introduced) Pike was caught...It was a Pig(in the nicest sense of the word). I have been there several times for Pike and came up empty handed. Had one run with tipup line but negative on the hookset. I will be up there around the 15th of January for another go at them! :)

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
bobco said:
Lucky7 , were is a good place to stay up around stagecoach?
I used to teach in Oak Creek and I am able to stay with an old teaching buddy. Not much of anywhere to stay in Oak Creek or yampa. I'm guessing somewhere in Steamboat Springs.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
sanchez stinks for pike now, a lot of them supposedly died this past winter or two...
Crawford on the west slope is very good for pike.

BTW steel leader, ditch it in colorado and use heavy floro. Our pike are too finicky and won't touch something with steel leader on.

Stagecoach should be good for pike I will be icing it in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
TroutFishingBear said:
sanchez stinks for pike now, a lot of them supposedly died this past winter or two...
Crawford on the west slope is very good for pike.

BTW steel leader, ditch it in colorado and use heavy floro. Our pike are too finicky and won't touch something with steel leader on.

Stagecoach should be good for pike I will be icing it in a couple weeks.
TFB: Thanks for the hint on steel...could explain why the shut out at the Coach last year!

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I havent ever heard of the hotdogs for bait.. Do you leave them alone or cook them.. im asuming they are right out of the package.. thanks for the tip.. we used to use waterdogs and oldhampsters they were gonna kill

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I've heard of people using them raw for bait. Heck, I might give em a try this year.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
we used to use them live in the open water. the pike like the swimming and scrambling action.. the never make it live to ice fishin dont know why

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
hmmm.
I like a dead perch on a quick strike rig on a tipup. Around 5" is premium.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
I heard footlongs catch bigger pike...can anyone tell me if it is true?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts