Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks Ken for the reccomendation, i love this lake. Friday me and my dad cought our limit on 13 inchers in 3 hours. I went today, cought my limit in 1 hour. All very nice looking fish with suprisingly pink meat. Were cought with powerbait on bottom! Also friday i cought a very nice 14 incher(VERY Fat) on a spinner, it was my first fish cought with a spinner!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ya i think its Nevada and Cascade right off Mark dabling. There is quite a bit of open water, but the dock looks like its ready to blow away. I stayed off of it. But fish right off to the right off the North dock, with powerbait on bottom, you will surely limit out. I left early because there was a big billboard right there making these noises and i thought it was going to frickin fall over. The wind can blow like crazy down in there so be aware!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
I take the kid there alot in the summer when he needs a fix, did you see any tiger muskies cruising? There are a ton of crawdads in that lake very little ones too, so any hold overs have probably been feasting on the crawdads which will explain the pink meat. Out of the 3 lakes in the Springs I like this one the most, only 5 mins from the house and gets the least fishing pressure.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
amen to that. I did not see any tigers, but i think i might have saw a bass or a sugeye because i saw a little goldish/yellowish fish(NOT a trout or musky) cruisin the shallows, didnt want to catch it. It is my favorite lake in town because the fish actually put up a valued fight, there bigger, and they have pink meat. It was alot of fun these 2 days!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Except, it is like 30 min from my house because I live in Falcon, lol. At least i found my lake i will go to after school once my truck gets fixed!

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Craig N said:
amen to that. I did not see any tigers, but i think i might have saw a bass or a sugeye because i saw a little goldish/yellowish fish(NOT a trout or musky) cruisin the shallows, didnt want to catch it. It is my favorite lake in town because the fish actually put up a valued fight, there bigger, and they have pink meat. It was alot of fun these 2 days!
Well to let you know... There are bass and saugeye in there.... also carp, koi, goldfish, and suckers which can all look goldish/yellow sometimes. Then you can catch catfish, bluegills, crappie in there as well. They tell me the crappie come right up under the dock but I saw none last year... they say along that concrete wall by the watershed is a good place for them, but alas bluegill and trout all I have ever caught there. My son has caught 2 goldfish and 1 koi though (foul hooked the koi).

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I'm not trying to de-rail the post. But I have thought of trying for pike and tiger muskies this summer. Would this be a good place to start at and what would you suggest me using? I have a flyrod, spinning rod and baitcasting rod. Oh and by the way I have never went after tiger muskies or pike before.

thanks
Jim

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
jbrowning said:
I'm not trying to de-rail the post. But I have thought of trying for pike and tiger muskies this summer. Would this be a good place to start at and what would you suggest me using? I have a flyrod, spinning rod and baitcasting rod. Oh and by the way I have never went after tiger muskies or pike before.

thanks
Jim
Yes and No.... if you live in the Springs and dont have alot of time to kill then yes fish here for the muskies.... If you dont live in the Springs or you have time to drive somewhere good then No dont fish for them here.
I know alot of the muskies stocked here were harvested, everyone I talked to that caught one started out "we caught some pike here yesturday" or something to that extent... This was before the DOW posted the tiger musky signs there. Tigers are not as easy to catch as pike so if you want to target pike or musky I would say try catching some pike first, 11-mile, Spinney, or RMA are good places to try for your first pike on a fly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts