Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Cody fishing today started out at Pikeview he was suppose to show me how to catch trout since him and his grandpa had hit up quail lake and done good the last couple days. I was targeting tiger muskie while he rigged up the ole power bait. I also casted out the 2nd rod worm pole hoping for a catfish. I saw one tiger muskie crusing the shallows looked like he was a fat 24 inches (fat for a tiger muskie). I tossed a few lures his way and then I lost him dont have polorized sunglasses so hard to see them. A few mins later after switching lures I saw him come in close to check out my lure but never hit it. A little while after that I caught 1 of 3 rainbows from pikeview on the worm. We moved down the running path to where the pump house is and fished there for a while poor Cody still hadnt caught any trout and was getting like all kids do bored. After I caught trout #2 on worm I figured I'd have him catch me a crawdad to use. While rigging a small hook and worm on his pole (figured it would be funner for him if he used his pole) a huge tiger swam by this time about double the legnth of the first one and looking mighty fat as well. But I continued getting the kids pole ready. Showing him how to lower the worm between the rocks.... up out of the rocks flies a bluegill snagging the worm. Cody was like give me give me... and I was like I bet thats what the musky has been eating. So I gave him the pole and told him to catch me one. So I rigged up a bluegill on my lure pole and left the worm out there. A couple hours later and a couple 20 bluegills later I caught the 3rd trout.
Cody decided we should go to Quail lake around 2pm so off we went, we had a couple hours before his baseball game so I fished 1 pole with worm. While Cody started out fishing powerbait. I caught 5 more trout and Cody caught 1 off his powerbait. But about 5 mins after we got there me and Cody both reeled in the first fish (pissed off the guy we were sitting next to as he hadnt caught any all day), 30 mins later and no fish for Cody it was back to baby bluegill fishing under the rocks. And he did eventually catch that crawdad.
The 3 trout from pikeview were pretty much all clones of this one about 9 inches:

Here is Cody's biggest bluegill at pikeview:

Here is the average rainbow from Quail Lake about 11 inches:

Here is Cody's biggest bluegill (think its a green sunfish) out of Quail Lake:

Lastly here is the crawdad:

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OH YEAH, I got a new camera finally, since the other had been broke so long... now I should have lots of pictures to post... and hopefully one of the tiger musky I'm going to catch out of pikeview.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
The smile on his face is worth a million bucks. You don't look too happy though..........thinking about that muskie I guess! :)

Dan

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
EPic-Good to see another St. Louis Cardinal fan-they got shamed by Boston in the series but have better pitching this year. Just might go all the way!!! Ed

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dan said:
The smile on his face is worth a million bucks.  You don't look too happy though..........thinking about that muskie I guess!   :)

Dan
Once you catch 1 stocker trout you've caught all stocker trout. They keep telling me there are catfish and all kinds of other fish in this lake, but all I catch is trout no matter what I throw.
The suckers are schooling and running the shallows in schools of 10 to 30 and there are a bunch of dead goldfish on shore. While we were leaving we saw a carp surface that was atleast 10 lbs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
WOW, I didn't know there were tiger musky in Pikeview. Tell me more Epic. How did they get there, are there pike also in there?

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Methiolate Man said:
WOW, I didn't know there were tiger musky in Pikeview.  Tell me more Epic.  How did they get there, are there pike also in there?
The DOW put them in to control the suckers, koi, and goldfish, damn college kids have to release their pets at the end of the semester. I forget how many they put in but when they stocked them they were around 12 inches and now they are all fat and atleast double that size from the ones I have seen swimming the shallows. As far as I know there arent any pike in there, but a lady I talked to said she had caught some pike there... however I dont know if she knew the difference between pike and tiger musky.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I guess I better get down to Pikeview and see if I can thin the population of Muskie/Pike some. Maybe this weekend....I'll post if I go.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You better not try to thin the population of muskies in there!! Not a legal one in the lake! They have to be 36" to keep,,, but you shouldn't keep them anyway... Let em go and grow up... I've caught 25 or 30 of them out of that lake since they were stocked and let all of them go. I've seen idiots keep them because they thought they were Northerns,,,, several of the folks got fines for trying to take them out of there as well. There are no Northerns in Pikeview. Don't try to keep a fish if you don't know what the heck it is, or don't have clue about the regulations! Besides Muskies aren't there for us to catch and eat, there out there for the challenge of trying to catch one.

Tim

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim-COS said:
You better not try to thin the population of muskies in there!!  Not a legal one in the lake!  They have to be 36" to keep,,, but you shouldn't keep them anyway... Let em go and grow up... I've caught 25 or 30 of them out of that lake since they were stocked and let all of them go. I've seen idiots keep them because they thought they were Northerns,,,,  several of the folks got fines for trying to take them out of there as well. There are no Northerns in Pikeview. Don't try to keep a fish if you don't know what the heck it is, or don't have clue about the regulations! Besides Muskies aren't there for us to catch and eat, there out there  for the challenge of trying to catch one.

Tim
Might I add they are also there to take care of all the suckers and goldfish and koi that are in that lake!!!!!
Please throw them back.
Tim what you catching them on? I must get me one, stupid jeep is in the shop so I havent been able to make it anywhere to fish.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I did REAL good right after they put them in there with a size 3 or 4 Blue Fox spinner. I would attach a small twister tail onto the back of it... I haven't caught one in a while. I have been mostly fishing for trout though. I'll bet a rainbow colored fluke fished weightless in those rocks could drag some out!

Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts