Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My lake trout trip for Saturday fell through at the very last minute, so I saddled up and decided to go a different direction and chase pike for a change. I had never chased pike at this particular lake so I decided to prowl the shallow weedy bays with the electric and see what I could see in the clear water. What I saw were pike! Good numbers cruising in water from 4 feet to 10 feet, so commenced to throwing jerk baits. Several follows, including some from decent fish, but no biters until I tied on an old school 7" floating silver Rapala. A half dozen casts produced this nice 39" fish. I didn't weigh it, but it was fat and thick bodied so I'm guessing 15 or 16 lbs. Maybe one of you real pike guys might have a better estimate of the weight.

It was my only hit on Saturday, but it validated the decision to go chase 'em.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, guys. It sure is cool to see those fish cruising up shallow. I was surprisede I couldn't get more of them to go. I threw Rogues, X-Raps, jointed Rapalas, and big floating Rapalas and Rebel minnows, and kept mixing up the retrieves. Any other suggestions? Water temp was 57 at 10 AM, glassy calm, ripple on the water later in the day, but no real wind.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Any other suggestions? Water temp was 57 at 10 AM, glassy calm, ripple on the water later in the day, but no real wind.
I don't know....probably would have done what you did....throw jerkbaits. then again, wait one more week and they might be killing the jerkbaits, regardless of time of day.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Did ya feel that rush again?? Picked a good time of year to go for them and to get a fish like that on any trip is a good goal, but never a given. That's a slab!

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was at Spinney on the 19th of Sept. specifically targeting pike for the first time. Caught hammer handles all day long on pike bunnies. Caught one about 30", but that was the only one big enough to eat.
What really got me excited was seeing big pike in the shallows(I was in a belly boat) nosing up to my flies. They wouldn't commit and it drove me nuts. I saw at least 5 different fish that were well over 40".
I really want to go after them again, but I'm working a boiler shutdown at the Martin Drake power plant and weekends mean nothing to those turkeys.
Maybe when we get done putting the boiler back together I'll get another shot at those critters.
In the mean time, I'll just read the posts of you guys that have a life.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts