Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Here is a little PSA on why you should pinch your barbs. Sunk it nice and deep, right up to the body of the fly. Had to push it through to cut off the barb and get it out. Which meant pushing the thread and wire wraps into the hole... Kinda sucked. :-[

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Ouch!!! Bugz I put one into a finger 2 summers ago and used a method that is easy to find on the internet where you run a line through the bend of the hook and push down on the eye while pulling on the line.

My #12 Yellow Stimmie came out almost painlessly.

Hopefully neither you nor I get hooked again, but you may want to take a look at the method I used.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen that technique but I could not figure out a way to do that one handed and did not have anyone available to help. Tried just clamping it in hemostats and down and out but no luck.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
I have seen that technique but I could not figure out a way to do that one handed and did not have anyone available to help. Tried just clamping it in hemostats and down and out but no luck.
Did it to myself last summer while night fishing out of my toon at Pueblo...caught a jig in my chest when it came off a snag. snipped the line...finished fishing and stopped at loaf and jug on the way home. Asked the clerk to help...no go. Drove home and woke my son..using the method pistol mentioned...it came out slick as a whistle...no pain at all.

Told my doc about it while getting a tetanus booster...He hadn't ever heard of the method..he you tubed it and now that's how all of the docs remove hooks at the office.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I've jerked small hooks like that straight back and out using my Leatherman. Have done it on myself several times, once on the ear of a fishing partner on stream, and once on my wife who found a size 18 in the carpet near my fly tying station one time (yes, we're still married). Even did it once with a Rapala treble that had one hook sunk into my thumb just next to the thumb nail. Gotta grip it tight and yank it quick. Never had to do it with anything bigger than about a size 12, however. But lesson is as OP says, pinch those barbs and it's way easier.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the link Bionic. I will use that next time if I got the extra hands available.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
happened to me once wen I was younger. I was float tube fishing sunny side, Nevada. I hooked a decent bass on a floating rapala and grabbed him by the lip. As I struggled to Get the hook out, the bass wiggled and drove the hook into my hand. We tried to pull it out and push it through to no avail. It was in pretty good. Ended up driving to a Podunk little town in the middle of nowhere and found a physicians assistant that could come in to the office. (This was after hours) She ended up numbing my hand and yanking it out.

·
Registered
16,631 Posts
I landed a 6lb bow in the Flattops at an 11,800 ft lake. The bow was on 1 hook of the #9 rapala, my forearm on the other hook. I laid all my weight on the bow and when he stopped struggling I beat his head in with my free hand. Then I grabbed my Leathermans and got the bow free, then grabbed as much hook as I could and ripped like my life depended on it. It came out. Did some alcohol therapy and all was good!

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
Had a similar experience. We stopped off to fish the Colorado just below Glenwood on the way back from Utah. I caught a 19/20 inch brown on a triple treble crankbait. The fish was only hooked on the front treble. I picked it up...the fish flopped and embedded the other two trebles in two of my fingers. Wasn't too sure what I was going to do when the fish flopped again out of my hand..two..three flops later and he yanked the trebles out of my fingers..bled like a stuck pig..coumadin kid..Still...given the situation..was happy the way it turned out.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Moral of those stories... Don't use treble hooks!!!!!! hahahahha:fish:

The hook I stuck myself with was a cheap one I bought on ebay long ago.. I really did not want it to break while yanking on it...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts