Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been fishing the pinery since I got home in hopes for a wiper season carried over from tennessee as is usually the case when I get home. However, while I've been away my lake has changed. The wiper are there but not by the numbers. usually by now when the water temp is where it is I am hooking atleast five a day. However, I have been skunked this entire last week. After speaking with the ranger out there I have made my own hypothesis on the situation.

Last year they dumped in some 100,000 walley frey and to keep the wiper off them they added 50,000 fathead minnows. In only a 26 acre lake, that is a lot of food for a shrinking population of hybrids. As a result those fish don't have to look far for a meal and certainly aren't going to go cruzing looking for a single fly in the mix. I've tried it all topwater, deceivers, bunny flies...you name it I've chucked it.

Furthermore, I have begun to get an interesting perspective on keeping wiper. I personally will release all my fish. However, last season when they put a gill net out on the pinery for 2 hours the net became filled with wiper all in the 8-15 pound range. That says that all those fish are about 7 years old and the life expectancy of a wiper is about that. So for that reason, it might be ok to keep a big hybrid.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I went to the lake for the first time with my 6 year old son and his friend from school, we started catching crappies as soon as we got our lines in the water, the kids had a ball. I meet the ranger and he took a picture of the crappies the kids where catching. I set a pole out for wiper first using mussels, then crawdad, and finally I tossed a crawler with a slit shot to them. that was the ticket, I was using four pound test line and a loose drag. the two 6 year old kids pulled on that fish for 15 minute before I tighten up the drag. They landed a 7 pound wiper. Thanks you for the post, I owe you one! O0

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds good! I'm sure I'll see you out there...I'm the guy that should be wading but insists on using my new drift boat!

·
Registered
239 Posts
This lake is about 3-4 miles south of Parker off Parker Rd. It is in the Pinery
Subdivision. Turn left at the golf course (there a bubble there). Take the first
right and take that to Lakeshore Dr. It's just up the street. It has a boat ramp there and dock. You can use electric motors, no gas.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Does anyone know for sure whether if I would have to remove my gas motor, or can I just lift it out of the water and not use it and then use only my electric troller? Thanks

·
Registered
307 Posts
Thanks bobber for the info. I'm thinking it doesn't actually address the question as to whether i can have a gas motor on my 16 ft boat if I do not use it. Seems to be a little grey........ Maybe I'm being just a little hopeful

1 - 10 of 10 Posts