Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, so i've just been told carter lake does not allow ice fishing. how about pinewood? anyone familiar with that lake? any tips apreciated.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn you guys post fast!

so let's change my approach:
what lakes in this area allow ice fishing? estes? there is no ice at all on estes as of last weekend, but is it allowed? i know gross allows it, but i've heard scarey stories about the ice up there. i'm not a big fan of places like boyd .

what about horsetooth?

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
John

Is there a reason you keep choosing lakes that barely freeze in the winter...

Carter/Horsethooth/Estes/Pinewood...dont know if I have ever heard of a solid cap on any of them...you forgot Pueblo...you are going to have to drive hight to get ice...Georgetown or RedFeather being the closest at this point...becareful at Georgetown...lots of auger eating sand on the ice...

Or if you live north...Barnes Meadow by Cameron Pass...

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
zman said:
John

Is there a reason you keep choosing lakes that barely freeze in the winter...
no, no reason in particular- maybe ignorance? i ask about these lakes because they are close to me and have species other than trout to fish for. i am totally new to ice fishing, so sorry if my questions sound dumb. i know people ice fish places like boyd and people were icefishing st vrain st park and mccall lake just 2 weeks ago, so it's not fair to say you need elevation to find ice, right? i know there are many factors involved in how well a lake freezes over, i just figured since these lakes are all higher than a place like boyd or st vrain and they get more shade, they would ice over. i'm surprised to here that they don't.

you mentioned cameron pass, joe wright is another place i'd like to try but i don't have a gas auger and i imagine that lake has really thick ice, even right now.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
John...nope didnt think it was dumb...just seemed ironic...you kept chosing ones I have never seen totally frozen...Boyd gets a great ice cap in most winters...but Carter and Horsetooth due to depth, winds, downslope warm winds never seem to freeze solidly...I dont know why estes doesnt freeze...always seemed like it should be high enough and cold enough...dont know if the power plant has something to do with that...you might not have to drill many holes at Joe Wright to get accomodating fish...I would of expected Granby this weekend to have a thicker cap but it was only 8 to 10 inches...I think due to its depth...I bet Joe Wright is pretty deep...it might not be as bad as you think this time of year...Dowdy, West, Bellaire and Parvin are all closer than Cameron Pass probably for you...and the ice wouldnt be as thick and fish are very willing...Parvin can be moody...s

·
Registered
935 Posts
zman said:
John...nope didnt think it was dumb...just seemed ironic...you kept chosing ones I have never seen totally frozen...Boyd gets a great ice cap in most winters...but Carter and Horsetooth due to depth, winds, downslope warm winds never seem to freeze solidly...I dont know why estes doesnt freeze...always seemed like it should be high enough and cold enough...dont know if the power plant has something to do with that...you might not have to drill many holes at Joe Wright to get accomodating fish...I would of expected Granby this weekend to have a thicker cap but it was only 8 to 10 inches...I think due to its depth...I bet Joe Wright is pretty deep...it might not be as bad as you think this time of year...Dowdy, West, Bellaire and Parvin are all closer than Cameron Pass probably for you...and the ice wouldnt be as thick and fish are very willing...Parvin can be moody...s
You didn't even mention Chambers Lake. Either way, it takes less time to get the red feather, once you're at Fort Collins... 45 min to red feather, 1.5 hours to Chamber Lake.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I have fished Chambers, Barnes Medow, Dowdy, Westlake Parvin, John, Boyd all are within resonable driving distance of loveland, Greeley, and Ft Collins. Typically lakes below 8000 ft only get a hard cap once or twice a year and only for two to three weeks. Pinewood and FlatIron are Estes are all very dangerous due to the constant change in the water level. For a newbie I would make the trip to Dowdy, or West Lake. These lakes are easy access and provide fun fishing with lots of action. If Lake Loveland or Boyd caps you can get a variety of fish from Bass, Walleys, Trout,Perch,Croppie and Blue Gill. If you are looking for Bigger fish Try Chambers for Mak's or big Rainbow's. Be advised it is a long walk into Chambers and it can get down right nasty there. Barnes Meadow is a easy 60 - 100 yard walk however when I fished it this weekend I drilled a hole and the water looked like a backed up toilet! Yuk. Lake John is about 31/2 hours from Ft collins and can be real windy and slow.

Good Luck where ever you go!

Tight Lines and Bent Rods!
Grizz

1 - 12 of 12 Posts