Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hate to sound like an idiot, but it can't hurt to ask. With my new job, Ill be spending a significant amout of time in Eagle, and I really want to start hittin' it hard while Im out there. Im from Ohio, normally I prefer spincasting to fly fishing, and I usually target smallies, LM bass, walleye, and crappies. Is there any suggestions as to resevoirs or streams in the area which are open to public fishing acess, and is there any local hot techniques I should know about? I read some of the fishing reports, and the problem is i don't know where any of these water are at all. By the way, just so you know, I am absolutely a catch and release guy, in case that makes a difference...

T

·
0 Posts
Catch and release is prohibited in Colorado. You keep & eat what you catch, that includes CARP & SUCKERS.(Colorado Law SECTION 121-50).

Just kidding. Welcome to Colorado and the Forum. The group here is helpful and is rich with fishing info.

You can probably start here. You can click on the trees to get more details on the state park.

http://www.parks.state.co.us/default.asp?action=search&search=park

You are about an hour from Rifle Gap and Harvey Gap(West on I-70). Rifle Gap has some decent fishing(I've caught only perch and bows there, but has smallies & walleye) and Harvey Gap has a good population of crappie and channel catfish.

·
Banned
487 Posts
The best rivers in the area are the Eagle River and Gore Creek.
The Eagle River has good fishing for Rainbows and Browns up to 24", with the occasional brookie or cutt. The best thing to do is to drift a piece of nightcrawler through the pools and runs. You will catch tons of them and most all will be hooked in the lip. Larger panther martin spinners also work well.
Gore Creek is flies and lures only, but it has big browns, brookies, cutts, and rainbows. My biggest brookie to date, a 19 1/4", was caught in the creek just above the Eagle Confluence. Medium panther martin spinners and curly tail grubs work best.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Aviatortroy - Welcome to the Vail Valley. I was born and raised here and have been fishing since I could walk. For warm water species you will have to head West to Harvey and Rifle Gap. Head west on I-70 like mentioned above and Rifle Gap is just to the North of the town of Rifle. It is not a huge lake and during summer can have a lot of pleasure boaters on it, but this time of year should be good. Both are state parks so you will find some info on the state parks web site as far as location and water conditions. The state parks fishing reports suck so do what you know how to do. This time of year Harvey Gap can be drawn down really low, but can be fantastic fishing for: Small Mouth, Crappie, Perch, Cats, Pike, Trout, and have even heard of Tiger Muskies in there.

Some excellent small mouth fishing can be had on the Yampa River up near Steamboat, but more west of Steamboat closer to Craig. Will take you around 1.5 to 2 hours to get there. I have not done a ton of fishing up there so you might have to stop in a couple shops for an access map and some good suggestions. I do know there are some really nice smallies in the Yampa, some up to 5 lbs. There are also Pike in the river, some up to 40 inches. Access will be the main thing to figure out up there.

On the other hand you have many, many great rivers and lakes within 100 miles of us. The Eagle river from Edwards to Gypsum can be great trout fishing, even with spinning gear. All you need are some spinners (Panther martins), spoons (kastmasters, Krocodiles), and small rapalas. The Colorado River near Dotsero and to the North for miles can be great fising this time of year on the same lures mentioned above. The big thing with the Colorado is water clarity which gets muddied up in the spring and after significant storms, but if it is greenish, grayish color you should be good. You can also fish the Colorado in Glenwood Canyon near Grizzly Creek rest area and all the way down to Rifle (about 40 miles of river). Another great trout steam is the Roaring Fork, which is similar to the Eagle River just twice as big.

Stick to those for now and you should have plenty of great fishing. Over time you will find more spots, hear from other anglers about theirs, and develope your favorites. There are so many bodies of water within 100 miles of you it would take you a lifetime to fish them all. Good Luck and Welcome to town!

Rip Lip - I live in Edwards

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks A lot guys, I really appreciate it. There is a lot of water in Colorado and I wouldnt have known where to begin. I think Ill start with casting jigs/twistertails and inline spinners in the river, and see what happens from there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts