Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my two boys a small atv to play with this summer and am wondering if you guys know of anyplace close around denver metro area or south of to ride. I know Rampart is a popular area but I am looking for more of a flat open area they can learn to ride on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank You

·
Registered
24 Posts
There is a ton of good riding off of Fr360 (Cedar Mountain Road) between Divide and Westcreek. It runs through the Hayman burn area and there are many spur roads that shoot off with varying difficulties. If you go in out of Divide it seems there are more trails tailored to ATV/Dirt Biking than if you go in out of Westcreek which has more immediate access to roads wide enough for a full size truck. But they all connect to each other either way depending on how long you want to ride for. I could be mistaken but I don't think they open until after Memorial day but if you contact the South Platte Ranger district they should be able to give you seasonal dates and also trail maps of the area. This area can be crowded during peak times of the year.

Another good area close to Denver with lots of trails is up by Central City. There is a good trail system starting right by the cemetery. Another option in this area is if you were to drive past Blackhawk a few miles on your left hand side you will see Road 4, you can follow this into the town of Apex and head west by taking a left, these roads will tie into the Rollins pass area to the north and the St. Mary's/Alice area to the south.

Yet another great area is the Red Cone/Webster Pass trail up 285 near the town of Grant. This system has varying levels of difficulty depending on the trail you're riding but most of the trails are more on the difficult side. If you're taking beginners up here try checking out Websters Pass first, it's a pretty easy ride with a lot of good views and the area is pretty open so the chances of coming around a corner into another rider is easily prevented. Be warned though, this area can be extremely crowded with jeeps and other rock crawlers in the summer and the roads going up are generally only wide enough for one vehicle so you may need to back down in some spots to let people go down the trail. You can ride this trail system all the way up to Montezuma near Breckenridge. This area takes quite a while for the snow to melt and usually can't be accessed until Mid June.

Taylor Park is my favorite area in the state to ride. This one is a little further away but well worth the drive when the snow melts. There are hundreds of miles of trails in the area and not a lot of riders considering the amount of quality riding. I recommend the trail going up the Taylor river to Taylor lake (not to be mistaken for Taylor Park reservoir), the trail is a little tough in some spots but the scenery is amazing. On the trail you will encounter a lot boulder/rock obstacles and you also drive straight up the creek bed for over a mile. From the top you can follow the trail down into another trail system that is closer to Aspen. I've seen snow drifts in this area in August so its a better later season/camping option.

Here are some links to a few of my trips up to Red Cone, Taylor Park and near Yampa. They're on a different site so I hope the mods don't mind. If so let me know and I'll pull the links. I have a bunch of pics from most of these areas so let me know if you're interested in seeing more. Have fun and teach the kids to ride safe and responsibly. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, I know a lot of good riding throughout the state.

http://costatefishing.com/index.php?topic=542.0
http://costatefishing.com/index.php?topic=470.0
http://costatefishing.com/index.php?topic=1992.0

1 - 5 of 5 Posts