Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it legal to submerge christmas trees for artifical cover in this state ? I used to do this in Nebraska all the time and it was worth the effort.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
this is a good question

when i aproached the man in charge of blue heron ponds in florence about doing something along those lines he told me he couldnt officaly authorize something like that right now and then we kinda beat around the bush and although he didnt say do it he never said that i couldnt but i would like to find more specific info on this subject

·
Registered
943 Posts
i would check whoever manages the lake you want to do this in. they might consider this littering.

·
Registered
943 Posts
i agree tl i was just trying to save him some trouble.you know how the government thinks ;D

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
This is just a guess, but I would highly doubt that it would be allowed by individuals at most places. I wouldn't see any harm, but imagine some people. Building their own dock, digging deeper pools, bringing some sand for a beach ( ::)). These may be exagerated, but I don't see it as too far fetched for some joker to dump his trash (calling it structure). 

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have also witnessed it done in Missouri lakes with no one asking permission. From my experiences with the Clorado DOW they would have a sh** fit.

F

·
0 Posts
im sure the d.o.w. would be mad ...for the same reason there is yellow perch at blue mesa ...its not for someone without the right education to decide what goes in and out of lakes.....Im sure it wouldnt hurt anything either but what do I know im just a fisherman not a biologist(not a spelling b champ either) ..leave the structure up to nature and the d.o.w. less trouble ....you might end up putting a tree where an old man has been catching fish for years and your putting a big snag wagon on his hole

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you fish at quincy you can see the benefits of cover. The cover if properly placed can offer excelent fishing. As far as snag if you dont get on once in awhile your not fishing the right spot. I was thinking mostly doing it in Pueblo on some of those flats.

F

·
0 Posts
I fish quincy alot early and late in the year .......you might have the right ideal for putting cover in certain places but my general thought about it is .....your not certified to do so...putting your own cover in places isnt just gonna affect your fishing but everyone elses .........

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
A bass fishing club did this along with some DOW employees way back in the 80's at Pueblo-you can still see some of the X'Mas trees in the north Maririna cove-they had tires around the bottom filled with concrete. These have of course been high and dry for 4 yrs now due to the drought. I think it would be illegal to do this without some kind of permission from the DOW.

But any type of cover would be great-down in MO and AR they do this all the time on lakes like Bull Shoals. They have signs on the shore telling you where they are. Some of the tree and brush piles are 100 ft. long and really concentrate the fish.

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
We use to build Crappie Hotels and submerge them... I been thinking about doing this to a couple local lakes like pikeview since everyone I talk to down there tells me there are/were crappie in there. But no one seems to have caught any this year, except maybe the muskies that are in there.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
There are lots of places that could use more structure. I am sure the DOW would love to have volunteers to help put some in next spring. Maybe we should get a group together to help with the walleye spawn also.

Dan

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
Dan said:
There are lots of places that could use more structure. I am sure the DOW would love to have volunteers to help put some in next spring. Maybe we should get a group together to help with the walleye spawn also.

Dan
I'm for that.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
just load up that tree in your boat cover with tarp and get on the water and drop it off before day light

remember to mark the spot for future fishing

·
Premium Member
10,399 Posts
roadkill said:
just load up that tree in your boat cover with tarp and get on the water and drop it off before day light

remember to mark the spot for future fishing
When I lived in Nebraska we did this at Chalco Hills as a eagle project (boy scouts) but we used tires with concrete to suspend the trees either straight up or tilted. Just dropping the tree it will drift and move over time so marking it wont help it needs an anchor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Autually, in the past I've seen many X-mas tree's on the ice at Croak Res. Don't know if the DOW did it or the city of Northglenn. My guess is the DOW did it.

Jeff

·
Registered
472 Posts
Allowing the public to put Christmas trees in public lakes is the right thing with potentially horrible results. Only private property owners are permitted to do this "at their own risk".

The letter of the law calls this "illegal dumping". If this practice was open to the public everyone that lived around a lake would not dispose of trees properly but rather dump them over the fence at the shoreline tinsel and all.

Or worse...folks would try to put them in the center without considering safe ice conditions. One wrong move and we are talking serious consequences.

That?s the downside of public policy. You have to cater to the lowest denominator.

If you own a lake, what I suggest is cleaning the tree of all ornaments, tinsel, metal hooks, etc. Let the tree dry out thoroughly. I?ve read that sap can have a poor affect to the water quality. Probably not enough to be truly concerned about but that?s what I?ve read. Then push the tree out with a long pole as far as you can. If you want to anchor the tree, try and do this with something non-metal as rust can have a negative affect as well?don?t know how much?just what I?ve read.

Management agencies put something like 40 Christmas trees out at Stearns. Everyone was saying ?What are those doing out there??. The ice melted, the trees went under exactly as intended. When the spring winds rolled in, all the trees were bunched up at the east end of the lake. It still made structure but probably not exactly as they intended.

Wow?I really sound like a Cliff Clavin (From TV show Cheers) on this forum sometimes. :-\

·
Registered
472 Posts
The good news is that I have cancelled more of my posts than actually make it to the forum. I wonder how many people see "Mattsabasser" at the top of my messages and mutter..."Oh great, here we go again." ::)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts