Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wondered for many years now and never gotten a real strait answer from anyone, so I thought Id ask here.

Generally speaking, most of the plains lakes I have been to in the summer months are so murky from the algae that you cant see even 24 inches down into the water. I am wondering what is causing the issue, if there is any reasonable solution to it or am I the only one with the problem.

What is it's overall effect on fishing- I have been fishing in several out of state plains lakes in Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma etc, that are no where near as bad as Colorado, but I cant say the fishing was better nor worse because of it.

I had heard that CDOW introduced all the dang carp into the lakes to try to get rid of it, but I am thinking something else is going on.

Anyone have any info?

·
Registered
3,591 Posts
Algae grows in shallow water ponds and takes over, Grass carp can help but it is s very common problem.

·
Registered
9,159 Posts
Grass carp suck, but I'm sure fly guys will disagree with me.

As Steve said, most of the lakes in eastern co are featureless bowls used for irrigation, so they warm up super fast in summer and get gnarly because of lack of oxygen... Doesn't help much that some of these lakes get drained too.

I don't know crap about anything (forum trap set) but I dunno... Maybe aerators? They added them to some lakes in the metro area that had the same issue and it's helping...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Aerators, maintain a stable water level (almost impossible here in CO), if this is a new problem at a particular venue, look at run-off, or potential pollution from outside sources, construction, destruction of surrounding habitat. Fluctuating PH, very high temperatures, overly nutrient rich eco systems. Nearly all forms of algae control will involve nutrient reduction.

I had saltwater aquariums for years and battling algae was a hated task and sadly, a common one. Change something, add some fish, forget to clean your filters and it was algae bloom central !

Heck, think i managed to reply to a post without using my favorite 4 letter C word - remarkable !

Tight-Lines,
John
***Quest

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
I have wondered for many years now and never gotten a real strait answer from anyone, so I thought Id ask here.

Generally speaking, most of the plains lakes I have been to in the summer months are so murky from the algae that you cant see even 24 inches down into the water. I am wondering what is causing the issue, if there is any reasonable solution to it or am I the only one with the problem.

What is it's overall effect on fishing- I have been fishing in several out of state plains lakes in Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma etc, that are no where near as bad as Colorado, but I cant say the fishing was better nor worse because of it.

I had heard that CDOW introduced all the dang carp into the lakes to try to get rid of it, but I am thinking something else is going on.

Anyone have any info?
It's often caused by an over saturation of nutrients. This can be caused by a lot of things with one of the most common causes being fertilizer runoff

·
Registered
902 Posts
It's often caused by an over saturation of nutrients. This can be caused by a lot of things with one of the most common causes being fertilizer runoff
Becoming a big problem all across the states.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts