Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody every try an ultra lite planer board for trout while trolling?  I'm thinking of trying it this weekend at Steamboat.  I wanna get 4 lines off the canoe. 

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Ive been wanting to get some of those smaller planer boards too. Let me know how they work for you.

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

·
Registered
246 Posts
I use them with 9' medium casting steelhead rods for trout on Blue Mesa and Flaming Gorge, they work real well. Get the 6" small Church brand planers out of Cabelas for $22. They spread small to medium crankbaits like Rapala countdown 7/9 and Luckycraft suspending pointers really well on flat calm water in the early mornings when trout are spooky or after fronts. Have caught some big browns on them in Blue, and large lakers at FG.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't use the small boards in big waves, just normal mid-morning chop.
I use 30 lb. Power Pro braid to a swivel, then 8 lb flourocarbon leader. You can use up to a 1/2 ounce sliding sinker without pulling the boards much.

·
Registered
838 Posts
setthehook said:
Fowl_Hooked said:
I use the normal ones all the time -- works great
Really!!  Do you use the tattle flags?  You are the best trout fishing bass fisherman I know.
Oh I disagree. You are by FAR the best trout fisherman I know. And since you asked, yes I do use the tattle tale flags. A really good trout fisherman I know got me hooked on them.

·
Registered
838 Posts
brown-time said:
I don't use the small boards in big waves, just normal mid-morning chop.
I use 30 lb. Power Pro braid to a swivel, then 8 lb flourocarbon leader.  You can use up to a 1/2 ounce sliding sinker without pulling the boards much.
I run cowbells behind leadcore with no problems on the larger boards. It just kicks the board back a little further.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BK
That is what i have, I love his ultra-light gear. Didn't have time to try the planer out of the canoe last weekend, but caught a couple nice cutbows on Sep's side kick dodger and a crawler.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts