Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
I was kind of surprised...I went to the Carter/Horsetooth fishing seminar up in Loveland a couple of weeks ago...and one of the walleye pro tour guys did a demonstration on how they work...rigging them up and then fighting the fish...I was very surprised because his helper that acted like he was in the boat with him while fighting the fish...they had to stop mid fight and disconnect the planer board...and then the clip on weight that was attached further down...all while fighting the fish...seems like there is a lot of possibility for things to go wrong while fighting a fish...I know guys swear by them...it seemed like a lot of "putzing" around while fighting a fish...I guess I was just surprised...

E

·
0 Posts
I use them almost every time I am on the boat...I wouldn't use ANYTHING but my OFFSHORE Side Planers.

They are easy and fast to release, so you can get those big fish into the boat, and they hold on pretty well, even in big water. The trick is how you wrap the line around the quick relaes button...no putzing!

I certainly would NOT buy those "universal" planers...there should always be one for the right and one for the left...unless you're running TWO on each side, like I often do.

WELL WORTH THE CASH! ;D

·
Registered
6,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so you do have to fight the fish with the board on until you get the board to the boat, then un-clip it? Some of them have a release the lets the line go when you get a fish correct?

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
Ditto,

I like planner boards. Some of my friends in Michigan are really die hard fisherman and they got me started on them. I looked up plans on the internet and my neighbor "a carpenter" built them. We made some modifications for colorado fishing, but any one wanting to spread out your lures should give planner boards or in-line planners a try. Just be careful the first time out at Chatfield - lots of boats. We wrapped one around another boat the first time out!

Terre

E

·
0 Posts
You can rig the boards that have a "quick release" clip either way...so they will release as soon as you hook up (or in choppy water) simply by running the line straight through the clip, OR if you want it to hang on, but still release with one hand, just make ONE wrap around 1/2 of the clip instead of running straight through...Piece of CAKE!

;D

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
That sure seems easier than the demo given by the "pro" up in Loveland...

E

·
0 Posts
One day this summer brother, I will show you just how easy that IS!

I'm serious...it's really just a 1/2 a wrap and it clips off even in nasty chop!

I won't lie to you, I have made mistakes wrapping it, and have had to chase one awhile or screwed around boatside a couple times....but once you learn it, it's a fantastic tool!

On a sidebar...at Lake Michigan two years ago, I had a king salmon go airborn and break me off...he took the planer board under water on a dive...he resurfaced aboutt en minutes later, and we drove the boat over to where he was swilmming...he dove again! WE never saw him resurface although we stayed in the area for over another hour! AMAZING STRENGTH that fish demonstrated!

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Jawsesque!!

As Quint said...he cant take two barrels down!...

Brodie...somebody forgot to tell him...

·
Registered
103 Posts
I second the Church Tackle Boards, except the roach model with the additional weights, just way too big unless you are planning on pulling some big cranks and snap weights or harnesses. I brought some back from Wisconsin a few years ago, and have found them to be particularly effective on kokes and trout out here. A typical Lake Michigan trolling spread would consist of downriggers, dispy divers, and planer boards all at the same time to cover as much water as possible, as you can run three single hook rods per angler. But the disadvantage as stated is traffic, you cant just whip out a turn, but I really like running long line taz devils on a board for salmon in the open water, and rapalas with some added weight right up along bluffs at say granby or green mtn. Another tactic was to set the board to release at the strike with very small downrigger clips and to use the "floater" as a marker

E

·
0 Posts
I guess I'll have to look into these Church boards....I've heard of them before, and it was all positive...

About the idea of setting them to release at the strike....that doesn't work for me, as we normally have several rods out and I troll very long lines if possible, thus requiring me to reel everything in for one hook-up where I'd rather slow the bot and throttle on and off in order to keep slowly fishing and keep the lines seperated, while the first fish is brought in...if the boards release from a line, I have to stop fishing and chase it...many places I fish, (my favorite in particular), have places where I might very well lose that board, because getting to it would require a swil, and I'm not all that gung ho to drop i the water if temps are not ideal!

Just a thought...this is a great discussion, and I am learning much!

·
Registered
24,590 Posts
Its like regular fishing...the most poles and angler can use is two...it's not like those crappie tree rigs you see in the south...

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
well see thats what im getting at some of those guys from kansas come down and fish j-martin and they have like 10 rods sticking out the back of the boat and i dont see why they are not getting told anything
half the time the game warden doesnt even say anything
the few times that we see them doing it we never have a game warden around to tell them anything im hoping that now that j-martin is a state part that they will not let them do that any more because we have like triple the game wardens now

·
Registered
103 Posts
fishingkats said:
how many poles can you have out when you are trolling
some states regs state how many hooks per angler, and a single treble is considered three, and alot say nine hooks per angler, not a limit of two rods no matter what
??? ??? ??? ??? ???

E

·
0 Posts
Wow....where DO they do that, Iron Eagle?

I always wondered how (or if) they control it at all in the deep south where those spider rigs are common for crappie...???? Who knows this? I'm no Yankee, but it's been a loooong time...!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts