Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently ordered some plastic eggs in the mail. They're called troutbeads and are 6mm. Figured they'd be killer and haven't really ever seen them in Colorado. I got them just now in the mail and couldn't find a hook that I could slide the egg on to. It's not the barb that's the issue- it's the bend of the hook. I tried pretty much everything at the fly shop and so did the employees. There's this company that ties something similar that I messaged for help but I haven't heard back yet. Anyone have any input?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
These are gonna be awesome. I know people have lots of success with them in other parts of the country. They will be a very close match to brown trout roe. I already considered that but I'm opting for trying to find a better solution. Thanks...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
But this is my favorite egg pattern. It is a fun funky tie that are pretty easy. I sometimes add a couple of lead wraps to help get it down. It looks great when wet, watch video till the end.

https://vimeo.com/32352298

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
I peg eggs often, and frankly, it works great. You rarely hook the fish anywhere other than the lip, although about half of the time, it's on the outside of the jaw. I suggest keeping the length of line between the egg and the hook less than about 1 1/2" ... I alsos suggest using red octopus hooks... you'll find lots of fish eat the hook. Follow those tips and you'll do it ethically and efficiently. I also prefer glass beads as they act as weight. I like the small glass beads, I think they are 3 or 4 mm.

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Oh, and you don't slide the hook on them, you tie them to your line without a hook and then tie a hook below the egg.... again, about 1 1/2" below the hook is nice. In alaska, I believe they require you only leave 1", no more. I found that the hook up ratio with 1 1/2" is superior.

·
Registered
377 Posts
For Oyey's technique, something that's worked for me is slip your tippet through the hole on the bead, then peg it with a piece of .065" string trimmer line. Just clip it off flush with nail clippers. Nice and snug. Dittos re keeping the bead no more than 1.5 - 2" from the hook.

Wyoming outlawed beads apart from a hook a few years ago, not sure if that's still the case, so you might check on that if you go up that way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Tons of people Bead fish here. Minturn anglers have had their clients using them (and selling them) at their shop for a number of years. After crushing rainbows in Alaska, the guys started trying here and, not a shock, very successful with them. If you go to the Parker location, they keep those beads. Im actually pretty sure I've seen them at a couple other shops too.

Anyway, the way Oyey suggested to rig it is pretty much how I do it and others.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Money info in what Oyey & Tangler said- lots of ways to peg to the line- the knot works. Troutbeads & a few other companies make rubber or silicone pegs to insert into the bead-:they have a tapered end, just pull it snug to place your bead on the line & clip off the ends. Toothpicks work rubber bands work-tie your own bobber stops ... lots of ways to do it.....

·
Registered
24,568 Posts
Wow first fly guys using bobbers and now snagging hooks...lol the world is ending...might be enuf to make Slayer a fulltime flailer...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
So... Whomp... did ya learn anything?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Wow first fly guys using bobbers and now snagging hooks...lol the world is ending...might be enuf to make Slayer a fulltime flailer...
Nah I don't think so. Not enough metal involved....unless he starts to use a pistol pete!!! :biggrin1:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts