Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went out fly fishing for the first time today had lots of problems getting casts started. used a rs-2 followed by a pheasant tail. split and indicator. lots of snags. does anybody have any pointers on what works in that area i'm planning on going out tomorrow again. i saw quite a few fish but couldn't get my line in the water without scaring them away. weather was real nice though.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
If you actually saw fish in there today, you are doing better than I have there lately. Maybe they are waking up. Lots of vegetation on the banks, so I don't usually make any heroic casts, unless I feel like losing a lot of flies. I waterload my line and roll cast. Double haul casts and the like usually get me in trouble with the bushes. Can't wait to get out there this weekend. Last week, I got skunked. I did see someone with a 20+ inch cutthroat on a stringer though.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Actually, I've scooped the water for bugs in the past several weeks. Almost exclusively, the midge larva are like size 40 (32 at the largest). I've been tying a "Waterton Special" to match them. Just a thread midge with an olive body and black thread wrapped around it for segmentation.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
small beadheaded nymphs and copper johns have been the ticket for flyfishermen. The trout are hugging the bottom however yesterday I did see alot more action topwater than in the past week.

TH

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
caught my first fish on a fly rod. i went out this afternoon. hiked downstream past those ponds. saw fish rising on the outside of a bend in the river. crossed over downstream and fished from the inside bend using a wooly bugger with a split shot 18" up. the current was real slow so i dropped it on the outside edge and pulled it back in jigging slowly. caught one bow at around 2pm 12-14" full of milk. shot all over my waders. the fish were still rising when i left around 4pm. it was getting pretty cold. walked back through the snow. anybody ever fished those ponds clear on the southwest end of chatfield?

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Good job! congradulations on your first flyrod fish!

I gotta tell you though, when you talk flyfishing its called "stripping"...not "jigging"

Thats a major fly fishing terminology no no... ;)

I

·
0 Posts
Lostlure you dont want to make those fly-fishing guys angry... I fished those ponds you are talkin about and Ive caught small rainbows and even smaller largemouths on little spinners and such..

·
Registered
764 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i wasn't stripping any line. i just twitching the rod as a was pulling back for a roll cast. kind of a twitch the rod let the line settle twitch the rod let the line settle type of thing.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
i wasn't stripping any line. i just twitching the rod as a was pulling back for a roll cast. kind of a twitch the rod let the line settle twitch the rod let the line settle type of thing.
Yeah but if you say jigging then you become "one of them"!!!!

;D HA HA HA HA ;D

Just kidding when I started I called a strike indicator a bobber in a fly shop and it got real quiet.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
lostlure said:
yes, off the record that sounds like jigging to me...but...ahem....as a flyfisherman i cannot let you trick me into calling it that officially. i still stand by my fly fishing breatheren, both alive and dead, and will say you were "stripping it in" when you caught that fish on your flyrod. jigging is for heathens like Ken and Dan whom fish for those nasty little walleyes off of overpriced boats.

·
Premium Member
4,229 Posts
I guess my $300 boat, motor and trailer make me rich compared to Rottal!

Sounds like a bad case of envy if you ask me! :)

I would not trade my old outfit for the most expensive flyrod, waders, and vest that rottal has.............. >:D

Dan

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Ahh yes---I in turn would not trade my oldest flyrod, waders, and vest for...
Dan. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts