Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This was a good day at Elevenmile. ( Not my best) I kept all these pike because I like to eat pike and I don't ice fish so this was my last day of fishing for pike until next spring. I want to add that I will never keep this many pike again. It was a mistake. I also want to say for every pike you see in front of me I let go ten the same size that year. This is what happens when you put your time in on the water. I put in 12 hours a day 3 days a week and 6 hours another day (42 hours a week) every week for and entire season. Minus a few days here and there of course, but basically I lived there.

PS I only keep one pike at a time now even if it is my last trip for the year. I feel like pike are already under seige and I don't need to help keep the population down.

PSS The pike on the bottom right had 9 rainbows in her. the rest of the pike's bellies were empty.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Couple of questions? Do pike taste good? The other is how to you fillet them. I tried 1 time many years ago and had way to much trouble with all the bones. Wasn't worth the time.. Lets not forget.. Daaammm nice catch..

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah you have to Y bone them. It is hard to explain but there is a bone on top of the fillet that you have to get out. Once you do it a couple of times it is easy. Pike taste great! I love fried pike.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Impressive catch!  Thats the most pike caught on one outing (of that size) ive seen in a long time...

I ate a small pike once...and it wasnt bad.  you had to use a different technique to fillet them efficiently, but all the stories i heard about them being fishy, how you had to soak them in milk, remove blood lines, ect, ect werent true i found with that particular fish.  It was small (about 24 inches, it was hooked bad when we were fishing for walleyes at Tobin River in Canada) so maybe that had something to do with it.  To me..well, it tasted like beer batter  ;)

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The fish in my hands weighed 13 1/2 pounds. I did not measure it but if I had to guess i would say it was 35-37 inches. I caught all those fish in one hour. It was funny they would not hit if you worked the lure you had to drift with the lure out the back of the boat. Barely moving.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Absolutley impressive.   They're all fat and healthy, it seems they had no problem finding food through the winter season.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
yeah every now and then we go overboard...that's one of those times. That's why we need a regulation on the pike. I definitely don't like seeing that excessive harvest, but you can't change the past. Hopefully nobody follows this example. Nice fish though, you really hammered em! I don't think I've ever caught 10 pike that big in one day...5 over 30" is my best ever. We'll have to talk about this technique :) Nice fish

·
Registered
227 Posts
I am a trout fisherman and although many would disagree with me I think you did the right thing. I say that feeling that all of the fish will be used in a timely fashion as food.
I practice primarily catch and release on trout, but I do kill pike.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Man that picture makes me sick, never in my life have I ever seen anything like that. I have tried and tried but am yet to catch a pike biger than my foot at eleven mile. I have tried through the ice and bank and boat and belly boat and wading, but still nothing would really like some pointers.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I'm sorry, but that picture disturbs me . At Spinney that kind of harvest is needed for the good of the fishery, but not a 11-Mile. I have argued for several years now that 11-Mile Pike are not starving to death like Spinney Pike are and should not have a bounty on them!!!!! Those fish are very healthy!

I am by no means a catch and release Zealot, but that is excessive. Why would you hammer your home lake like that?

I am sure I will catch a bunch of #### for saying this, so bring it!

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Hey Neil, Im with you. Doesnt matter if its 3 years ago, or 3 days ago, you take that many spawning age fish out of a system, there are repercussions. There are many other ways to show off to your piers.

"PS I only keep one pike at a time now even if it is my last trip for the year. I feel like pike are already under seige and I don't need to help keep the population down." No Thanks to you!

SORRY for that, just thought it needed to be said.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Neal/CO said:
I'm sorry, but that picture disturbs me . At Spinney that kind of harvest is needed for the good of the fishery, but not a 11-Mile. I have argued for several years now that 11-Mile Pike are not starving to death like Spinney Pike are and should not have a bounty on them!!!!! Those fish are very healthy!

I am by no means a catch and release Zealot, but that is excessive. Why would you hammer your home lake like that?

I am sure I will catch a bunch of #### for saying this, so bring it!
Like I said before in my post earlier I have let go at least 10 pike the same size for every one I caught on that trip. So if you do the math if I kept one pike from every trip I would have the same amount of pike just over a longer period of time. I had a day out there where I caught 200 pounds of fish in one day and didn't keep one fish. It was excessive I agree but I did eat them all that winter. I don't feel I did as much damage to Elevenmile as people think, and I do know what I am talking about when it comes to Elevenmile's pike population. THERE IS THOUSANDS OF 10 POUND PIKE IN ELEVENMILE. Even with that said I will agree that if everybody did what I did it would hurt the pike population so in my opinion it was wrong to keep that many pike and I will not do it again. I can admit when i make a mistake which a lot of people can't do.

PS You guys can ream me all you want cause you are preaching to the choir. By the way I have let go some where in the area of 15 pike, 15 pounds and bigger and countless pike 14 pounds and smaller. By countless I mean more then 100. I do practice catch and release. It is also not against the law to keep what I caught.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Seriously it doesnt matter how many you catch, and I can tell the guilt was getting to you or something or you wouldnt have posted that pic, but your strong, you roll with punches, You sir have my respect. I think maybe im just jealous!

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
To be honest I didn't post the pic becaus I new I was going to get slamed. In all honesty if I had to do all over again I would have let them all go but one, and that one would not have been 13 pounds. It would have been one of the ten pounders. I disagree that it doesn't matter how many I have caught and let go though. I think that shows that I and not an over harvester in the long run no matter how bad that pic looks.

·
Registered
6,542 Posts
I guess the thing that bugs me the most is that you weren't over the limit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would also question that there are thousands of 10 lb plus fish there? It is a 2500 acre Resevoir! I have been fishing there for 20 years myself, so i know a little about it also. Obviously you have the lake wired! And you also know there are not as many Pike in there as there used to be? And know I am not blaming you! But now it sounds like you are rationalizing killing 100 lbs of Pike in a day!

Anyway, you can't post a picture like that and not expect other anglers who love that lake as much as you, not to cringe. But in the end, it is just my opinion and that and 75 cents will get you  a cup of coffee, LOL.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts