Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been buying lots of lures for my upcoming Canada fishing trip and have been tossing all the lures (still packaged) into a 5 gallon bucket in my garage when I get home. The bucket is filling up so its time I started to figure out how I'm going to organize all these things. I've got everything from stickbaits and spinners to soft plastic jerkbaits. Sinkers and leaders and even some spare line spools.

How would you guys store all this stuff? Do you have a 'best' tackle box recommendation? Do you use the individual Plano or Falcon type of plastic storage boxes or have the jumbo sized tackle box with all the trays? Do you keep things organized by species (eg walleye) or by how you are fishing (eg a boat box vs a shore box)?

I'm in the process of spending as much cash to prepare for this trip as I will to actually take it! (I knew this would happen)

Thanks, All.

·
Banned
3,879 Posts
Sold...

I have 2-3 bags with the Planos and Cabela's style in them. It's a market improvememnt over an open/folding style tackle box but it still gets things tangled...espcially smaller kastys and sinkers...

Word...

·
Registered
5,689 Posts
I got a bass pro shop fishing bag, it's been nothing but convenient for me.

I think you can cop them for 25 bucks at BPS.... they got 3 small plano tackle boxes that zip up and lots of space. I always carry it in my car so just in case I want to hit up a pond or something on the way to and from work....

·
Registered
485 Posts
I'm going to Canada here in a couple of weeks and had the same question. I ended up going with a Cabela's brand tackle bag that came with 6, 3600 series utility boxes. They have a variety of sizes, depending on how much tackle you plan to take. I got the Large size separated my lures by type into each of the boxes and it has worked out really slick. Also, the bags have ample zipper pockets for gloves, towel, plastics etc. Good luck!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0038875121302a&type=product&cmCat=SEARCH&returnPage=search-results1.jsp&No=18&noImage=0&Ntt=tackle+box&Ntk=Products&QueryText=tackle+box&Ntx=matchall&N=4887&Nty=1

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Anything with the slide in-out plastic containers is what I go with now. It's real nice if you want to shore fish, you can fit those slide in-out containers into a backpack and walk around ponds :)

·
Registered
485 Posts
I have 2-3 bags with the Planos and Cabela's style in them. It's a market improvememnt over an open/folding style tackle box but it still gets things tangled...espcially smaller kastys and sinkers...
They make hook bonnets in a variety of sizes to help with trebles getting tangled. These work great. Again, you can get at Cabela's

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
FishnPhil said:
Anything with the slide in-out plastic containers is what I go with now. It's real nice if you want to shore fish, you can fit those slide in-out containers into a backpack and walk around ponds :)
I just recently have been converted to the 3700 series of boxes and one of those backpack bags. Works absolutely sweet! Got all my stuff itemized into different containers ( plastics, hardware, plugs Etc...) that are stacked in my garage and I just grab which container I need for the flavor of fishing I'm doing that day. Yeah I know I'm one of those engineer dorks. Combined with a backpack, its a sweet getup.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I use a Fishpond wildhorse pack-complete with plenty of storage and a 100 oz. Camelbak. Pack all your lures into the smaller plano boxes, flies on the included foam patches and boy let me tell you-I am sweet!!!

Took care of all my problems! Plenty of access, storage, and great for a hike in or a 2 hour trip to the creek

K

·
0 Posts
I go to Canada every 2 or 3 years. You dont need that much stuff!

Depending on where you are going, you can get away a good assortment of jigheads, some plastic for them and a few things to throw for pike.

I dont even take a tackle box anymore, i just stuff everything in my hard case that i put my rods in.

·
Registered
4,812 Posts
EdwardS said:
I've been buying lots of lures for my upcoming Canada fishing trip and have been tossing all the lures (still packaged) into a 5 gallon bucket in my garage when I get home. The bucket is filling up so its time I started to figure out how I'm going to organize all these things. I've got everything from stickbaits and spinners to soft plastic jerkbaits. Sinkers and leaders and even some spare line spools.

How would you guys store all this stuff?
Thanks, All.
I would get a boat, they hold lots of gear.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Plano 3700 boxes or the bass pro 370 (same size box) Ok so i have had a bunch of different styles over the years this is what i like about these. I like having the boxes because i can have 25, 30 40 maybe some day 100 boxes but i only have to take what i need vs having the huge bix that i have to take and only use half of the stuff. I have boxes for stick biats, cranks, hooks, weights, dodgers, spinners, spoons, deep divers, and the list goes on and on and on the nice thing is you are organized. Say i'm trying to figure out what color they are biting on and i'm throwing a #8 x Rap i bust out the #8 Xrap box and keep swtiching it up i only have that box out and my boat is less cluttered.

Ben

1 - 20 of 21 Posts