Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Took daughter and her husband fishing yesterday afternoon at Plo. Going into north park entrance, temp gauge on truck read 107. For sure, the warmest day I have ever fished. Got on the water about 4:00pm. First stop was party cove for a swim. After that, fished for 5 hours and ended up with 45 fish (walleye, crappie, wiper and smallmouth). Water temp was 77-78 and the fish still prefer the color white.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
107* is too fargin' HOT! At those temps they'd prolly cut you some slack, but be careful, the rangers will write you up for swimming :-\

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Takes some hard core dedication to hit the water in that heat! Glad you got rewarded though!

Didn't realize a person couldn't swim in a public lake though? That'd be unfortunate!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Takes some hard core dedication to hit the water in that heat! Glad you got rewarded though!

Didn't realize a person couldn't swim in a public lake though? That'd be unfortunate!
Yeah... nothing belong to the "public" any more... from the parks website...

Swimming

Swimming is not allowed in the reservoir. Wading in the reservoir is permitted. (You know you are wading when your feet are always touching the ground.)

Cliff-diving is dangerous and strictly prohibited.

Swimming is ONLY allowed at the Rock Canyon Swim Beach.

Rock Canyon Swim Beach

The beach opens for the 2018 season on Memorial Day Weekend.

Normal swim beach hours of operation are 11 am to 6 pm. It is closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

Day/Annual Pass into the park is required to access the swim beach. No additional fees are required to use the swim beach.

No lifeguard on duty.
Any child under the age of 12 must be accompanied by an adult.
Glass containers are not permitted​.​
Pets are not permitted at the swim beach.
Use of the swim beach pavilion is on a first come first serve basis

(Updated: 5/31/2018 3:18 PM)

http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/LakePueblo/Pages/Activities.aspx

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Did I say swimming? Misspoke. Thank goodness it was shallow enuf that our feet were always touching. Would hate to break those rules. Next time I will let those 30 kids/adults jumping off the ledges in 3 finger coves that it is illegal for them to take any responsibility for their own actions. Big brother says, "..."

So what is the difference between cliff diving and just jumping feet first? Technically, they weren't diving.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/diving - "an activity in which people jump head first into water."

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
I haven't been going to Pueblo as much with this hot weather. Summer has become my least favorite time of the year to fish.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Last year and this year I have seen numerous people swimming around the boats at the north shore marina, using their boat's water slide, jumping off of docks, etc. That's in addition to the cliff jumpers and cove swimmers. It seems like last year the rangers gave up. I asked one what constitutes swimming as a sporting opportunity, like skiers and spear fisherman, which is allowed. He said put on your life jacket and put up your orange flag and you should be fine. Even so, I would only ever do that back in a cove out of sight just in case you get a youngster looking to write tickets. It's crazy how much of a nanny state we have. People still die in Plo each year, usually boaters. What's next?

·
Registered
337 Posts
Back in 1982-83 I worked at Jackson Lake out by Fort Morgan after graduating high school. One day while manning the contact station selling parks passes I was pretty relentlessly questioned by a couple of guys(thought it was weird they were dressed in suits) about the swimming regulations at the lake. I told them that swimming was only allowed on the swim beach. It was buoyed off and an obvious swimming area. They kept pressing me trying to get me to say something like"It's really o.k. to swim where you want." I was a fresh out of H.S. 18 year old and wouldn't budge for them. They finally became visibly frustrated with me and left. Later, when I was telling the park manager about it, he was happy that I stood my ground and wouldn't give them disinformation. Turns out, they were lawyers representing a guy that got paralyzed diving into the water and hitting his head on a submerged stump at one of the campgrounds. They were trying to sue the state for "allowing" people to swim in unsafe areas of the lake. There's nothing nanny state about having designated places for swimming or not allowing swimming in a state park. There's nothing in the Constitution that says that you can't be denied the right to swim where you want. Rules are rules... some are stupid and some make sense, but they're still rules.

·
Registered
9,427 Posts
about 4 years ago there was 2 deaths in 2 weeks from swimming in the finger coves. and a few years ago a guy dove head first off a north shore cliff into 5 feet of water where he was killed when he hit a rock, 5 feet away the water was 50 feet deep. they have 3 deaths this year from boating. if you must swim do it in the middle of the lake with 2 people in the boat and an orange flag held up by one and the other at the wheel and no one will bother you if you act like you are skiing

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
As far as that swimming regulation, it is a State Park thing. Larimer County as well. Horsetooth is the only place I have been hassled for it. I really have a strong dislike for the Larimer County Rangers.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Back in 1982-83 I worked at Jackson Lake out by Fort Morgan after graduating high school. One day while manning the contact station selling parks passes I was pretty relentlessly questioned by a couple of guys(thought it was weird they were dressed in suits) about the swimming regulations at the lake. I told them that swimming was only allowed on the swim beach. It was buoyed off and an obvious swimming area. They kept pressing me trying to get me to say something like"It's really o.k. to swim where you want." I was a fresh out of H.S. 18 year old and wouldn't budge for them. They finally became visibly frustrated with me and left. Later, when I was telling the park manager about it, he was happy that I stood my ground and wouldn't give them disinformation. Turns out, they were lawyers representing a guy that got paralyzed diving into the water and hitting his head on a submerged stump at one of the campgrounds. They were trying to sue the state for "allowing" people to swim in unsafe areas of the lake. There's nothing nanny state about having designated places for swimming or not allowing swimming in a state park. There's nothing in the Constitution that says that you can't be denied the right to swim where you want. Rules are rules... some are stupid and some make sense, but they're still rules.
I respectfully but vehemently disagree with that perspective, but lack the resolve to argue the point, which this forum isn't really for anyway. But I will reference the Eagle's usage of Shakespeare: "...let's kill all the lawyers".

I strongly agree with the last poster, the lawyers are ruining our nation, and so are those who hire them to collect money off their own failures, or those of their injured or deceased family members. I grew up in the water--rivers, streams, lakes, ponds, ocean, and creeks. I resent anyone saying the water is state property such that I can't put my self into the water on a hot summer day, and will vote against that mindset if given the chance. If I die in the water, so be it. Better than in a fire.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Lakes are scarry. I tried to save a family once they all died. 5 kids while four adults on overturned boat couldn't swim.
Took daughter and her husband fishing yesterday afternoon at Plo. Going into north park entrance, temp gauge on truck read 107. For sure, the warmest day I have ever fished. Got on the water about 4:00pm. First stop was party cove for a swim. After that, fished for 5 hours and ended up with 45 fish (walleye, crappie, wiper and smallmouth). Water temp was 77-78 and the fish still prefer the color white.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts