Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a stainless steel plueger reel. I know plueger has been around for ever and I've always thought of it as the cheeper side of the reel world. But after comparing it next to the reddington reel and the scientific anglers reel i found the plueger to be a heavier reel. Now I know heavy isnt always best but if you are anything like me I tend to bend a spool or two during an average year of fishing. So any feed back would be helpful.I bought the reel for my Dad for Christmas so I just want to make sure I got him something decent....

Fish

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have two Pflueger Trion fly reels and like them a lot. In the bang/buck catagory they score quite high. I got both of them at Sportsmans Warehouse, who seems to be $20+ cheaper than most Internet stores on this item. I'd recommend these reels for anyone looking for a quality fly reel in the <$100 price range.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ditto what DavidK says. I bought two of there supreme reels back when and have since upgraded to the Trion. I change reels alot but I think I will stick with this one for a long while. IMHO, I dont think you are going to get a better reel for twice the money. Your father will very happy with it. Quality at a great price.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I also have a Pflueger Trion 1956 reel and I have no complaints with it at all. I don't have a lot of experience with fly reels, just a cheapo Shakespear and a Sth Mr. Pop, but what I have experienced the Pflueger is my favorite.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I bought a couple of Trions this past year, and I have banged them a lot, and they keep on ticking. I originally got them for the reasonable price and the classic look, but found that they worked great and took a beating. Reasonable price too.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I believe I bought him the trion 1956 but I already wrapped it so I guess when he opens it it will be a surprise for both of us. I know it cost about 80 bucks which wasn't a cheapy reel so I think he'll be happy. Thanks for the imput...

Fish

·
Registered
578 Posts
flyfishcolorado said:
   I believe I bought him the trion 1956 but I already wrapped it so I guess when he opens it it will be a surprise for both of us. I know it cost about 80 bucks which wasn't a cheapy reel so I think he'll be happy. Thanks for the imput...

Fish
Dang, I paid a lot more for my Trion 1956 a year ago at Sportsmans Warehouse!!!!! Grrrrr............. ;)

·
Registered
438 Posts
A fly reel is a place to store line. If it has a good drap on it and will reel in line; what more do you need? Cablea's has a graphite reel with disc drag that I have been using for years. The last one I bought was $35-40. Most fish I catch are played by hand. If I catch something "larger", I reel in the excess line ASAP and put the fish on the reel. That's the only time a reel matters other than to store line. Just my opinion. Course I probably just don't know any better??

·
Registered
163 Posts
homeboy said:
A fly reel is a place to store line. If it has a good drap on it and will reel in line; what more do you need? . . . Just my opinion.
The question should be... Does an expensive reel really help you catch more fish? And the answer is... It can, but not under most conditions that you'd see here in Colorado.

It is true that for the most part a fly reel is simply a place to store line. Even that, really cheap fly reels don't do this so well. More specifically, they don't let you easily pull line off the reel as well as a more expensive reel. This is partially a function of the drag. I'm talking about the difference between a $30 reel and a $60 reel.

It's when you catch a monster that the quality of the drag becomes important. For these, the reels that I've played with in the under $50 price range don't seem very well suited. Ok, I haven't tried to fish with a reel like this. I've just messed around with them in the store. But they don't give me any warm fuzzy feelings.

I have a Cabela's CSR-Something on one of my rods and it's OK. Not great or fantastic. I like the feel of the Pflueger Trion much better. It just seems like a better reel. And both the CSR-Something and the Trion are about the same price ($80-100-ish).

My first fly rod combo I got at Gart Sports for, get this, $14. That's $14 for both the rod and the reel. And it wasn't on sale! I think I spend another $16 on the line. It was a great learning rod, but it had some serious drawbacks. I now mostly fish with a Redington rod and Pflueger Trion reel that combined cost me about $280. That's not what I'd call extravagent for a fly rod & reel, but the quality is quite nice.

For _ME_ the "sweet spot" for a fly reel is about $80-120. I don't think I'll ever buy a reel cheaper than $80 because I don't like the lower quality. But I don't see myself spending over $120 either because I wouldn't notice the increase in quality. Maybe one day I'll have the money to spend $300 on a reel, and have the knowledge to appriciate what I'm getting-- but that's not today. I suspect that we all have our own "sweet spot".

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well he loved the reel. Also I like the $100 range for reels because the guys that brag about there 15 dollar reel have never fished with me. Yes a cheap reel is perfect for the guy that goes flyfishing 5 times a year and than pulls out his spinning rod for the rest of the year. I own a drift boat so until you have hooked a fish on the green river dropping through a shoot and having to drag a fish down stream with a cheap reel you cant appreciate a nice drag system on a reel. I own a Ross G3 mainly because I wanted something self contained so i didnt have to worry about dirt getting into the gears. So thanks to everyone for the imput I imagine he'll put the reel to good use...

Fish

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just resently purchased the trion 1978. After doing my research and testing the drag systems on multiple reels it was clearly the best deal. I got a great deal on e-bay. Payed about $70. I also picked up a spare spole for $35.
I would strongly recomend the trion reel. Its got the muscle to handle the larger fish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts