Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been researching methods of finding how to determine the water depth on structure without moving the boat over the location, for float (bobber) fishing.

In Europe a method of using "plummets" is how float fisherman determine depth over structure without motoring over the spot and spooking fish. Anyone know how they use this method? I think they have a heavier weight than they would typically use under the float, cast to the spot and if your float sinks, the water is deeper than you have set your float, thus through trial and error and repeating the method you find the depth of your structure.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Like using a deph-finder weight? I use these alot to set my slip knot.

Not sure if we're talking about the same thing

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've been trying to do that UK thing for a couple of years and still haven't figured it out completely. I built 2 - 6 foot 5 and 7 weight fly rods as spinning rods as well as a 10 foot bass rod specifically for trying the "float fishing". I've had the most success at Granby on Lakers and at Lake Mac for Wipers. Much easier to cast a balsa wood float with 5 feet of line trailing with a longer rod. Usually, I use a balsa stick float with one split shot about a foot above the hook. I've used this method with crawlers, meal worms, and minnows. They believe in different size floats for presentation and I have to agree - trouble is sometimes you have to search for that float to be able to see it. At Granby, you'll usually see a huge swirl and flash on the surface when a laker takes the bait.

Haven't ventured to the world of plummets but here's a site that may help you out.

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/gettingstarted/getstartedfloatfishing.htm

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the website on float fishing. It's a different website on what I've been researching and it has alot of good info.

Jay, how exactly do you use that weight you pictured? That might be the "plummet" that I've read about.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
The way you use it is to hook it to your hook, lower your line, than based on how far your float goes underwater is how far off the bottom you are. so with the depth weight on if your float is say 2ft underwater with the weight on it means once you take the weight off thats how far off the bottom you will be.

Sorry for this lame a$$ explaination but I dont know any other way to say.

?????

[me=Jay_In_Parker] [/me]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts