Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this has been mentioned sometime on this site, but to ask again. I am a long-time beginning fly-fisherman (been doing it a long time, just not often enough to get good at it) and have always used a fairly cheap pair of polarized glasses. With Xmas coming up, does anyone have any suggetions for a reasonably priced pair of polarized glasses? Does a good pair of polarized make a big difference? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
I haven't tried habervision, but hear great things about them. I have some Oakley polarized that I like a lot, but I don't know if I'd call them "reasonably priced".

And to answer your question, YES, a quality pair of polarized glasses makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
human cannonball said:
I have these and like 'em.....

http://www.habervision.com/product/Nice.aspx

EXCELLENT customer service!!!!!
Photochromatic, quality, glass lenses for $80.00(they have deeper discounts than that pretty frequently)....Like I said...I like 'em.

I broke the frames on my first pair and sent 'em in(to Golden, Colorado) and they sent me a new pair free of charge. I got them back in 3-4 days.

They've earned my business.

They actually have a model that floats as well...would be good for me...as long as I can get some to match the fishing helmet. ;D

·
Registered
120 Posts
I had to have a pair of prescription Maui Jim glasses made for me. Darn near as important to me as the fly rod ;D

Wonder if habervision offers a prescription service?

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
goldentrout17 said:
I had to have a pair of prescription Maui Jim glasses made for me. Darn near as important to me as the fly rod ;D

Wonder if habervision offers a prescription service?
Look in the bottom right corner of the page I linked.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Landon Mayer (Sight Fishing for Trout author) who is known for his sight fishing ability is sponsored by Smith. I called him and asked which model he recommended and he sold me on the Smith Shelter with brown lenses. They have a large ear piece that blocks sunlight and the lens cuts through the water very well. And, they look pretty tight to wear around town. Retail for $130 but I was lucky to get a pro-form for $40.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
I have the director smith brown sunglasses and they are money. Google smith polarized sale....you get some great glasses for cheap....native also has some decent glasses too.

S

·
0 Posts
slowdown said:
Silent_Light said:
cheap $20 ones work great
ya cheap bastage!! We both know when you get to your age you're luck to see your fly much less the water or what's under it
HA ! My flies wear shades too so they know where the fish are :)

You know, i've been wearing cheapies for years, have 2pr that ive had 5+years. I figure i'd rather break or lose a $20 pair than a $200 pair any day. At my age you forget where ya put stuff...

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hands down Smith polarchromic for me. I have used others they are not as good. They are expensive, but well worth it. Make sure you get copper, amber or brown lenses. Those are necessary for sight fishing colorado streams.

·
Registered
5,192 Posts
WOW No comments on Costa Del Mar! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I have the top of the line costas, 580 glass lenses and they are nice... Did have the glasses drop in onto my tile in the kitchen. Sucked big time! One lens toast at a cost over $110 and change. :eek:
http://www.costadelmar.com/SeeOutThere/Technology/TheCosta580Lens/

Figured you fly girls would be all over the top of the line glasses :D
Kidding about the girls part.

·
Registered
11,844 Posts
I too love my smiths, but i have the Habervision and honestly, the optics are just as good at about 2/3 the price of Simms.... I also damaged one of the lenses in my habervision glasses and they sent me a new lense for free. They are a CO company and have great customer service. I think my next pair will be from them again... Kinda sad I dont like the frames much on the pair I already have...

1 - 20 of 36 Posts