Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought I was ordering a bass pro plus 2 piece, wrong!
what are the advantages of a one piece and which do you prefer aside from
the convenience factor?

Blue Skies and Fireflies!

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
My personal preference is always one piece rods for spinning and casting rods, 2 piece for fly rods.

Call me old school, ague if you want, but I don't like multi piece rods as I feel it can mess with the action of the rod.

·
Premium Member
1,394 Posts
I like one piece rods, they seem lighter and have a better feel than a multi piece rod of the same blank. I have mostly 2-4 piece rods though, because they are much more convenient to travel with and store.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
In theory a one piece should have better sensitivity and better action. I can't say I've used a lot of the exact same rods in one piece vrs two piece. When it comes to baitcasters it's hard to find many two piece, and it seems higher end rods tend to only be available in one piece.

·
Banned
553 Posts
Ive casted the top half to many times. Ill stay with 1pc all day.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grumpie

hasn't happened with my 2 piece rod yet but had a rather expensive 4 piece
pack rod that I was constantly reeling in the first section
guess i'll have to be real careful w/the one piece, have extra tips just in case!

·
Registered
24,552 Posts
Ive casted the top half to many times. Ill stay with 1pc all day.
Put some of golden shower's llama wax on the top half...that should fix that problem...

I didnt know they still made 2 piece rods...

·
Registered
11,847 Posts
Put some of golden shower's llama wax on the top half...that should fix that problem...

I didnt know they still made 2 piece rods...
This, my friends, is what happens when a cop leaves the force and becomes a limitless civilian! :thumb:

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
one piece rods are lighter, and (subjectively) more sensitive. While one piece rods aren't convenient, I have not seen a case where an 8' rod wouldn't fit into a car from the front seat pointing backwards. Finding "Mag Bass" taper rods in two piece is hard, but if you were looking for the best 2 piece bass rod, look over at Kistler's Z-Bone two piece blank.

·
Registered
11,176 Posts
grumpie

hasn't happened with my 2 piece rod yet but had a rather expensive 4 piece
pack rod that I was constantly reeling in the first section
guess i'll have to be real careful w/the one piece, have extra tips just in case!
If you're reeling in the first section..you either have a crappy rod..or you aren't fitting it together properly. I think it's all about where you store them how you transport them, and whether you're going to hike with them or not...anything else..I don't think you'll notice a difference.

You have a boat..the rods only go from the garage to the boat and back..or stay in the boat all of the time..A one piece would be far more convenient.

Putting them in a closet or the back seat of a Honda..a two piece would be my choice.

Shoot, they sell nine piece fly rods for six to seven hundred dollars..Don't think you could get those prices if the number of sections was of real concern..

I do know that I've broken more one piece rods than two piece rods..always during transport..but I'm not the most careful person when it comes to taking care of my stuff when it's late and I'm still a hundred or more miles from home...my fault.

And having more tips won't really help if you break the tip off. The rod will never be the same.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Sorry to have to be the one to tell you sir. But a pole is something woman dance on. Or something a flag is hung off of. A rod is what you fish with.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
Nothing but one piece rods for me-more sensitivity, plain and simple.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts