Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Have you been hit with the swimbait bug?

• What are swimbaits?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I know very little about them.

• The cost prevents me from being very interested.

• I'm beginning to stock up because I want to try.

• I have a decent supply and have little to no success so far, but I'm still new to it.

• I have a select few & I pound the big ones consistently.

• My swimbait collection is enough to sink a battleship & they've landed many lunkers!

• I bought too many & my success rate does not justify the time & money.

• No

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I've got a couple, and I throw them on occasion. Sometimes they work, but for numbers, you can't beat more "reasonable" tackle. Of course, I don't want numbers...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Ha ha! :D That depends..... How do you define "swimbait"? >:D
Actually, I have noticed some who seemed to be defined by it, more than any other type of bait (none come to mind on this forum). As far as defining it for this thread let's say it's the kind of baits you find in the swimbait section of Tackle Warehouse or Bass Tackle Depot.

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
FISHAH0LIC said:
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
Ha ha! :D That depends..... How do you define "swimbait"? >:D
Actually, I have noticed some who seemed to be defined by it, more than any other type of bait (none come to mind on this forum). As far as defining it for this thread let's say it's the kind of baits you find in the swimbait section of Tackle Warehouse or Bass Tackle Depot.
Or my Little Shop of Plastic Horrors? :D I've been known to throw one now and then, depending on circumstances.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I selected cost has kept me uninterested but that's not really the case, just the closest answer. Really I wanted to get a swimbait set up last season but cost prevented it...or really it was because I needed a decent spin rod to fish in below freezing temps which I do quite often this time of year and in the fall. So practicality reigned in..also I got two rods {spinning} and a decent spin reel for around the same cost as just the reel I wanted to throw the big baits..and the price of the baits has also slowed my quest...but when I think of FishDr season last year I think I will try and get the set up this year. I have an other point on this thread too; not to step on any toes but it seems like I hear more talk about swimbaits than we see walk {if that makes sense} with the exception of FishDr or Grolsch I've seen very few people post any pics of fish caught on swimbaits...wait I'll give Hogmaster credit too I think I've seen him post up a few as well... but if a lot of people start selecting the "have a ton and caught a bunch of lunkers" it's going to be the same story as the walleye poll and people selecting 34" fish.....a bunch of bs....

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Oh yeah Solesearcher too...I've seen him post up some pics with the big dynamics not sure if he {or dynamic} called 'em swimbaits or not.... but I think those would probably qualify..can remember how big of baits those were.

And I could post that I've caught some fish on swimbaits if you count the storms in the 1-2oz range, but I don't think those really do classify as swimbaits.

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Certified Hudd Bigot...I know there are better baits...but zIsStillCatchingTheBug...bad things happen when wiper bigot meets hudd bigot...usually to my wallet...hopefully the 20 pound mark will fall this summer...it wont be for lack of trying...zRotatorCuff is probably the next ailment...

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
zman said:
Certified Hudd Bigot...I know there are better baits...but zIsStillCatchingTheBug...bad things happen when wiper bigot meets hudd bigot...usually to my wallet...hopefully the 20 pound mark will fall this summer...it wont be for lack of trying...zRotatorCuff is probably the next ailment...

Sick!! That's really making me jones....ah I want to catch the big wipers....

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
As one of my friends who wants to hook a stocker under the dorsal has been know to say...they go down whole like hot dogs!...here is proof...

Same fish with the Hudd peeking out...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Jevan...

They do but I started doing it FishDr Style...clipping of the hook below the skin line and using toothy critter green tieable wire leader material to make a stinger hook off of the eye and hooked to the body behind the dorsal fin...the only drawback as FishDr has stated...lots of casts waiting for Jaws...you start to question your sanity...I think it worse than the vampire shift...your arm doesnt fall off on the vampire shift...well usually...Jeremy with those fangs might bite it off!...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
solesearcher34 said:
Killin' me Z.....killin' me!!! :-X
The 10 pound male you caught killed me...not as much as the female you caught that had 15 or 16 pound measurements before I bought you your scale...I still remember that Saturday morning phone call you puke bag!...bwahahahahhahahahaha...

Even worse than Hudds...is 15 to 18 pound wipers on really big topwater lures...bites are fewer and further between...but talk about major wood...

·
Registered
24,509 Posts
Jevan...the treble I use is a big wide gapped short shanked gamakatsu...wipers dont seem to hit it in the head like some of the other top tier predators...they just swim up behind and inhale...the treble usually hooks them on the top inside roof of the mouth...I think FishDr has a link to how he does it...a pictorial...

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Chris,
I voted for "have a select few and pound the big ones consistently"...........if nothing more than for a good laugh. You didn't have an option that fit my circumstance. I have a number of lures that most would call "swimbaits" both hard and soft plastic. due to a variety of circumstances not the least of which is other technique-distractions I don't throw big baits every time I go out but when I do I usually enjoy enough success on them to keep me interested. And yes they have produced some "lunkers" for me as well as skunks and small/average fish. Not a "go big or go home guy" but there is certainly some validity to the notion. Keep in mind a 10-12" stocker trout is likely the meal of preference for the kind/size of fish that a number of us are tageting so the 6-10" baits we throw are not a limiting factor sizewise. Throwing big baits requires patience, discipline, stamina and above all faith...........or you can just substitute lack of lucidity for the last one.

zman said:
...lots of casts waiting for Jaws...you start to question your sanity...I think it worse than the vampire shift...your arm doesnt fall off on the vampire shift...well usually...Jeremy with those fangs might bite it off!...
:D :D :D

zman said:
solesearcher34 said:
Killin' me Z.....killin' me!!! :-X
The 10 pound male you caught killed me...not as much as the female you caught that had 15 or 16 pound measurements before I bought you your scale...I still remember that Saturday morning phone call you puke bag!...bwahahahahhahahahaha...

Even worse than Hudds...is 15 to 18 pound wipers on really big topwater lures...bites are fewer and further between...but talk about major wood...
"puke bag"......ROFL.......I love it when you talk sweet!

Yet to do the topwater part of the equation but intend to this year.........can hardly wait!!!! And yes I still intend to see that much appreciated scale read at least those previously mentioned numbers one day!!!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts