Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

If the Manny Pacquiao / Floyd Mayweather super-fight takes place, who wins?

• Floyd Mayweather

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Manny Pacquiao

• Draw

• Total voters
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May not get a big response to this boxing-related poll, but anyway ...

OK. We can debate whether this fight will ever come off, but for the sake of this question let's say it does.

Some of us saw Manny "Pac-Man" Pacquiao put on a boxing clinic last night dismantling the much bigger Antonio Margarito, winning virtually every round. It was similar to his last several bouts.

On the other hand, undefeated Floyd "Money" Mayweather possesses one of the quickest set of hands (& reflexes) in the history of the sport. His 'hummingbird-like' tactics make him extremely difficult to lay a glove on.

If these two do finally meet in the ring, it could be a classic. If you were a betting man, who is your $$ on and why? (Note: Not who do you want to win, but who do you think would win?) ;)

Thanks for playing.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Ya I am a big fan of Mayweather, and if he were to end his career now, I would not be mad, and he will still go down as one of the greatest fighters ever. Saying that, watching Pacman box was almost like a pretty ballet. A true work of boxing art. Now I think if there was any way Mayweather to beat Pacman, it would have to dancing with his speed, cause if Pacman gets his hands on him, its not going to be pretty.

They are reporting that Pacman broke his orbital bone in his face. Mayweather just finds himself to pretty to chance looking like that.

Pacman would win, but the fight will never happen.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a very hard call for me, especially after last night. But I'm going to go against the grain and pick Mayweather. It's not that I necessarily want him to win, understand. I believe Manny is tougher and stronger. But I guess I think Mayweather is even more phenomenally gifted physically. His quickness has never been caught up with by any fighter, even though it has been so well-known and publicized. In other words, even though quality opponent after quality opponent has known that Floyd's quickness is the key factor to be prepared for, none, Ø, has been able to do a thing about it. You can't teach that kind of quickness, and maybe you can't really defend against it either.

Now, with as superlatively terrific a boxer as Pac-Man, anything could surely happen. A combination or flurry that finds home could immediately put Mayweather in desperate trouble. But FM is excellent at not getting hit cleanly. Also, though, it's true that Mayweather is not near the power puncher that Manny is, and MP is tough as nails and will not fold. What a great fight it could be.

Finally, all you posters that are pessimistic about the possibility of this super-fight ever happening may be right, but I still think it will. We'll see.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
mayweather vs. pac man will happen...just don't know when...mayweather has 2 worry about his case 1st...if he has 2 do some time or not...if he has 2 serve...the fight might be soon...

Mayweather's next battle might not be in the boxing ring. He's due in court Jan. 24 on eight charges related to a domestic dispute with ex-girlfriend Josie Harris.

·
Registered
724 Posts
My pick is Pacquiao. Hop brings up the main points about Mayweather - exceptional quickness and a wall-like defense. Most Mayweather fights are tough to watch - in the sense that Floyd's defense creates his offense and often his fights do not bring much excitement with his style. But, his is a very smart boxer and doesn't put himself at risk by initiating his own attacks. FM will typically wait until his opponent launches his offense attack and then he superbly counters with lighting quickness. This is what he did to Sugar Shane and various other opponents. SS had hurt FM in their bout, but FM with his defense and very accurate countering stunned SS and disrupted his game plan.

I agree no one has been able to do anything about his quickness, but if Pacquiao gets in the ring with him, something will be done about it. Manny's side to side and perpetual motor will not provide the typical target that FM is used to - nor will FM have seen such speed in an opponent. I do think FM will touch Manny up at times, but as stated in other posts, FM does not have power and Manny can take some shots. He proved that when he was just a left handed puncher and guys would time him up. Manny has improved immensely as a boxer and is no longer that one-dimensional stationary opponent.

Manny's quickness, speed, constant motion, determination and power will overtake the great defense and counter punching of Mayweather. With the constant varied motion comes the punches thrown at various angles (as HBO commentators routinely point out), which will surprise FM - along with the other assaults launched by the great Pac Man.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BabyHuey said:
My pick is Pacquiao.
Bullet list response to Baby Huey:

1) Thank you for such a quality post again, BH.
2) You are one of the best boxing minds on the site.
3) Appreciate the way you gave Floyd his due before explaining why you'd pick Pacquiao.
4) How can I differ with you after you hit the bullseye so perfectly Saturday night?! :D ('Course I picked Pac too.)
5) Xlnt mention of Pac-Man's frequent side-to-side motion. It made Tyson great too, btw. More boxers should master this.
6) Could not possibly agree more about Manny having a great chin, & that's overlooked.
7) In summary, nothing but praise for your post, Huey; and yet I'll still go ahead and stick by mine. ;D

P.S. If it does finally happen, and you'd like to take it in together somewhere, it would be a pleasure! Cheers!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts