Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Among fairly 'major' schools, what is the worst team name in college sports?

• California-Irvine Anteaters (my wife's alma mater)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Delaware Fighting Blue Hens (intimidating)

• Georgetown Hoyas (uh, what-a's?)

• Hawaii Rainbow Warriors ('nuff said)

• Indiana Hoosiers (hoosier mama?)

• Indiana State Sycamores (yay trees!)

• Maryland Terrapins (go small turtles!)

• Nebraska Cornhuskers (fearsome farmers)

• Ohio State Buckeyes (those shuddersome nuts)

• Oregon Ducks (the downy death)

• Pomona Sagehens (they play dead when attacked)

• Purdue Boilermakers (kill 'em, craftsmen!)

• Stanford Cardinal (really? Go color, go!)

• Syracuse Orangemen (um, they're men ... and they're orange)

• Tennessee-Chattanooga Mocs (as in moccasins; a shoe!)

• Tulane Green Wave (Gumby would be proud)

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason this subject came to mind - and I'm not sleepy.

If you grew up following college sports like I did, there were certain team names that were so bad that at first it seemed like a joke! I mean, shouldn't a squad that's going out there to compete athletically be named after something fierce & physically impressive in combat? Well sometimes, apparently NOT! So I've assembled a list of some of the more noteworthy head-scratchers and am asking the forum who gets the biggest 'thumbs down'?

What college sports program gets your vote for the most ridiculous team name in existence? Cast your vote!

I'd love for our very funny forumers to make comments below, and possibly add other howlers that I've left off the list.

(I've stuck with college and somewhat recognizable schools, but take this wherever you want!)

Just trying to make you smile, Hop ;D :D

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Sorry I couldn't bring myself to just having it be college lol

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I voted for the Stanford Cardinal. To me it is the very pinnacle of political correctness at its worst. When I was a wee lad I remember Jim Plunkett winning the Heisman Trophy for the Stanford Indians. I always took that (the team name) to mean something positive -- a brave and noble warrior to be admired. But alas, the tyranny of PC took care of that, and left us with . . . a color to root for. Yippee.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Ya I remember being in Arvada middle school when they forced Arvada high school to change their name from Redskins to Reds. Theyve dropped that now for bulldogs... PC is pretty lame in most cases, you would think having a school where people take pride in a name would be a good thing...

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Bruce Gillis said:
When I was in high school our mascot/image ... got changed to a fruity looking night.
What does that look like? A banana in the dark?

Are there stars in the night? A moon, perhaps?

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
Hop said:
What college sports program gets your vote for the most ridiculous team name in existence? Cast your vote!
I vote for .....[drumroll please]......the Evergreen State.....

...wait for it.....

Geoduck!

And, what, pray tell, is a Geoduck? Well, it's one of these, The largest burrowing clam in the world, weighing in at a whopping 1 to 3 lbs...

Read all about 'em at http://www.evergreen.edu/athletics/geoduck.htm and check out the Geoduck Fight Song! :D

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
A banana?
Speaking of "bananas", how's this for a team name?

The University of California at Santa Cruz (UCSC) BANANA SLUGS!!!

Here's their mascot:

LOLLERS! If you're gonna go goofy, I guess go this goofy!

·
Registered
11,877 Posts
I wonder if the Banana Slugs ever play the Geoducks? That would be a battle for the ages. :D

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
gofindyourowndamnfish said:
I wonder if the Banana Slugs ever play the Geoducks? That would be a battle for the ages. :D
Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Wouldn't it, though?

vs.

PICK YOUR CHAMPION!! :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well, this isn't a college name but my High School's nickname was the "Barbs". Pretty intimidating eh? The reason? Barb wire was invented in my home town... Dekalb Illinois. Our mascot was a crow. The "Barbie Crow". Needless to say we pretty much got smoked in everything but cross country and wrestling.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When I was in high school...we were criticized for being the Eaton "Reds"...and I am sure that most of you have heard about the Eaton "Beavers", which was brought upon by this name controversy...

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bump . . . one last go-round for this thread in hopes of inciting another smile or two, maybe a funny comment (after a contentious political season).

And Deuceu, I know what you mean about "Nittany Lions" -- makes me think of felines running around in preppy vests.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I had to bring this back....when I played Junior College basbeall out in AZ Scottsdale Community College was the Fighting Artichokes.......

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
I can't see the vote selections on my phone...but I'm gonna vote for "corn husker"...my grandma husked corn...didn't make her too intimidating though. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts