Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

Pond at Florence, CO

2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  roadkill 
#1 ·
Went down and fished a BLM pond outside Florence because I was told they have been stocking it the past couple of years with small bass, catfish and bluegill. Thought it would be a good uncrowded place to try-which it was since I was the only one there.

Anyway, I'm fishing a jig and pig, just hoping it along the bottom when I feel a real good thunk and set the hook. The fish took off, the drag was just screaming and I thought to myself-I either got a state record largemouth or a real good catfish. Took me about 5 minutes to get it in close enough to see it was a big carp-I was a little disappointed but you can't complain about a fight that good. Never caught a carp on a J and P-this guy was on steroids and you gotta admire a fish that can pull that hard. Ed

Discussion starter · #9 ·
I was told by the BLM that both ponds were stocked with bass and catfish fingerlings last year but I idn't see anything cruising the shoreline and I only got the one carp bite and tried a tube, senko and jig and pig for several hrs. If their in there I guess it will be a couple of yrs before they reach catchable size.

I'm surprised the BLM or the DOW are not doing more to develop these ponds-they are decent sized and with the right forage I'm sure the would provide good fishing. Its a shame they don't unlock the gate-I could get my pontoon boat out there with my fishfinder and get a better idea of just whats in there. Ed

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Maybe 200 yds to the south lake, about half that to the north one. Ed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.