Colorado Fisherman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on a discovery kick, locating and surveying ponds in the metro area that might hold fish such as bass and perch. I have come across quite a few that have tons of polywogs and a lot of crayfish, yet I see little vegetation and no signs of obvious fish activity. Because I'm surveying so many ponds, I don't have time to fish all of them for several hours to see if they have fish in them. What other factors would lead you to believe that a pond/lake would be productive or do I just have to bite the bullet and throw in a line? Many lakes look dead to me (such as the Wash Park ponds in Denver), yet I'm told there are fish in them. I know very little about successful pond ecology, despite having been a biology major in college.

·
Registered
664 Posts
I think if a pond has some aquatic life in it it's a good sign but factors to consider are:

maximum water temp in summer...most fish cant survive 90 or 100 degree water

depth of the pond and acerage of water: factors into max temp, o2 levels and winter survivability

food chain: everything from microorgansims up to largemouth.

these are the factors I've found that seem to indicate fish. Don't know if it helps or if it's scientific but it's my experience at least.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The reason ask this question is that someone at Discount Tackle told me that a couple came in saying that they had caught a huge perch (state record size) "at the tennis bubble" on Bowles near Santa Fe. I scouted out a pond in the area and saw lots of tadpoles, crayfish and other bass yummies but saw no sign of fish. I find lots of ponds like this and I'm not sure which ones will be productive.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Well by the sounds of it there might be bass in there just deep do to lack of cover in the shallows but i may be wrong.What city is that "tennis bubble" in?thanx

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the bubble is in Littleton and the state record perch is still in there. They let it go to munch on more tadpoles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts